Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What causes audio skipping when starting a track? (Read 1525 times) previous topic - next topic

What causes audio skipping when starting a track?

This happens when the player goes from having no track selected (paused or playing, what the stop button does) to playing a track.

The first ~1/4 second of the song gets muted, forcing me to start it again to hear the beginning properly.

What is causing this, and is there a fix? Thanks

Re: What causes audio skipping when starting a track?

Reply #4
As a workaround you can use foo_dsp_pregap - https://foobar.hyv.fi/?view=foo_dsp_pregap
That worked! But only once I enabled "Use noise instead of silence" in it's settings. I think it may be linked/related to this? Link But I'm not knowledgeable enough about tech to know.

Thanks a lot!

Reply #5
I think it may be linked/related to this? Link
Yes.
Also, some devices are switching their output off completely not only if there is no input signal at all, but also even if there is input signal with pure digital silence.

Reply #6
This sometimes happens to me but only when the interface needs to switch between two different file sample rates, e.g. playing a 44.1kHz file right after a 96kHz one. With same sample rate it doesn't happen.

Reply #7
This also very rarely happens to me. Unfortunately, using pregap seems to put a gap between every track and not just when you manually start playback, meaning albums with gapless tracks will now have an out-of-place gap.  :(
Think millionaire, but with cannons.

Reply #8
Unfortunately, using pregap seems to put a gap between every track and not just when you manually start playback
No, it doesn't. Have you actually tried to use foo_dsp_pregap?

Reply #9
Unfortunately, using pregap seems to put a gap between every track and not just when you manually start playback
No, it doesn't. Have you actually tried to use foo_dsp_pregap?
I literally just tried it out before posting to see how it worked. When I used it, it put an extra gap between every track. When I uninstalled it, the gaps went away. Maybe it's not working properly for me then? I'm only reporting the results I just got.

Am I not supposed to use the Pregap DSP it adds? Does it do its thing without the DSP in your chain? If so, I'm wondering why it has a DSP to add in the first place.

If I have missed an option, please let me know. I didn't see any.

Reply #10
Maybe it's not working properly for me then?
Seems so. Maybe conflict with some other component. Can it be https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,123755.0.html ? You can try on clean portable installation to test.

Am I not supposed to use the Pregap DSP it adds? Does it do its thing without the DSP in your chain?
It only works if DSP "Pregap" is enabled.

Reply #11
I figured out the problem. Putting it at the beginning of the DSP chain, before the "Skip Track" DSP, will force a gap between consecutive tracks and prevent gapless playback. Moving down a notch just below Skip Track fixes it and only puts the gap on manual playback. I will edit my previous post. Looks like I can't edit my previous post. Oh well.

But yes, it turns out it was a conflict, but it was easily resolved. Thanks!