Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Playback from current playlist (Read 1436 times) previous topic - next topic

Playback from current playlist

Probably I missed it, but somehow I'm unable to start playback from current playlist with any of the menus.

I mean, I know I can double click on a track from current playlist, but I want to use menus for scripting (so mouse is not available).

'Playback/play' will start playback on the currently playing playlist. Or if it was stopped, the last one. In other words, as soon as I play playlist A, I can not play from B using the Playback menu. I have tried selecting the tracks first, etc.
(I know there are settings for "cursor follows playback" and the complement, but I don't want to use that)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So... where is a menu entry to simply start playback from current playlist (no matter other settings)? Or set the active playlist as the playing playlist? Is this an omission on native foobar?

Re: Playback from current playlist

Reply #1
Standard behavior I think. If I recall in native foobar 'Playback follows cursor' does that as a kind of side effect.

(Playlist Attributes has a global / option 'Start playback on active playlist' which is what I use, but probably does not help whatever you're doing)

Or maybe you can queue the first track of the playlist. Or context menu (?)

Reply #2
Standard behavior I think. If I recall in native foobar 'Playback follows cursor' does that as a kind of side effect.

(Playlist Attributes has a global / option 'Start playback on active playlist' which is what I use, but probably does not help whatever you're doing)

Or maybe you can queue the first track of the playlist. Or context menu (?)
Problem is I don't want to force other people to use additional components. So while Playlist attributes would work...

If I recall in native foobar 'Playback follows cursor' does that as a kind of side effect.
I'm starting to consider enabling it, starting playback and disabling it.  :))
But that's a hack because there is no way to know if the setting is enabled before calling the script. So it only works in case it was not already enabled.

Or context menu (?)
Nope. There is no 'Play' action on context menu! XD

I wonder how no one noticed these omissions! There should be a simple action for this, not dependent on other things or conditional settings.

Reply #3
Also there is no way to select an specific track via menus (either the first, the last, etc.) nor to set the focused track (selecting all does not set the focus on the first track).

So even if I use the playback follows cursor hack, which works only in some cases, the track played is not the first one at the playlist (the focus may be at any place).
Too convoluted, there should be a simple play from current playlist action.

Reply #4
Reading your posts makes it seem obvious, maybe the omission was intentional.
Nice to hear about this anyway, gave me some ideas for possible workarounds.
Good luck solving it.

Reply #5
I would love to have a Playback > Random for currently viewed playlist as well. Right now I have to start playing a track manually on a new playlist before hitting random. Not a huge issue, but it would be nice.

Sorry for adding onto your thread like this, but it seems like a similar type of thing.
Think millionaire, but with cannons.

Reply #6
Huh, must be a CUI thing?

'Play' is right there on DUI, and in Preferences > Display > Context Menu (+ Keyboard Shortcuts / Toolbar Buttons)

Reply #7
Huh, must be a CUI thing?

'Play' is right there on DUI, and in Preferences > Display > Context Menu (+ Keyboard Shortcuts / Toolbar Buttons)
And this is a bug, yep. It's missing even on a new install.
https://github.com/reupen/columns_ui/issues/662

I would love to have a Playback > Random for currently viewed playlist as well. Right now I have to start playing a track manually on a new playlist before hitting random. Not a huge issue, but it would be nice.
That was the thing I was trying to script, via multiple commands: Sort randomize, set replaygain to track mode, play current playlist.

But the last part is not possible without additional components or SMP...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reply #8
That was the thing I was trying to script, via multiple commands: Sort randomize, set replaygain to track mode, play current playlist.
A partial solution to this has been made by mark2k3 now:
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,123755.msg1023097/topicseen.html#new

It does what I need it to. I don't know if it solves your problem, but maybe?
Think millionaire, but with cannons.

Reply #9
Yep just seen it :)

Well my intention was to offer some kind of scripting for users (like foo scheduler, by calling menus as macros), which means it should be based on native features. If I force users to depend on extra dependencies, then I obviously have multiple options. This one at least exposes main menus, which is great. BUT it's on v2 only.

I think this feature should be added natively, it's a pretty big omission.