Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Beyerdynamics dt880 32 ohm rattling noise on high volumes (Read 3212 times) previous topic - next topic

Beyerdynamics dt880 32 ohm rattling noise on high volumes

I just purchased Beyerdynamics DT880 32 Ohm version. And hooked it to my Asus P9X79 motherboard. When i keep volume on windows at about 40 % - there are no problems with the sound - everything is clean (although, quiet). However, when i try to max out the volume - some videos on youtube and some audio files begin to produce crackling noises (through both sides) on basses and mid-low frequencies, especially when there are multiple instruments playing. As I am new to quality headphones - I cant really tell where the problem occurs. I tried my other cheap headphones - they work fine - no electric rattling noises at all. Also tried switching OS (Ubuntu 15, Windows 10). No luck. However when i hooked dt880 to my phone - the very same video had no problems at all. (I think it was little less loud).

So my questions is - are headphones damaged? Or maybe i just need an amplifier? To keep the volume low on Windows and boost it with an external amplifier?

Also maybe I should consider the 250 Ohm version (if i need to purchase an amp)

Thanks!

Reply #1
I just purchased Beyerdynamics DT880 32 Ohm version. And hooked it to my Asus P9X79 motherboard. When i keep volume on windows at about 40 % - there are no problems with the sound - everything is clean (although, quiet). However, when i try to max out the volume - some videos on youtube and some audio files begin to produce crackling noises (through both sides) on basses and mid-low frequencies, especially when there are multiple instruments playing. As I am new to quality headphones - I cant really tell where the problem occurs. I tried my other cheap headphones - they work fine - no electric rattling noises at all. Also tried switching OS (Ubuntu 15, Windows 10). No luck. However when i hooked dt880 to my phone - the very same video had no problems at all. (I think it was little less loud).

So my questions is - are headphones damaged? Or maybe i just need an amplifier? To keep the volume low on Windows and boost it with an external amplifier?

Also maybe I should consider the 250 Ohm version (if i need to purchase an amp)

Thanks!

Hi,

that may be a problem with the specific pairing of the Asus motherboard audio out and your headphones, since both parts appear to work well unless used together.
But do make sure the headphones are OK by checking with loud signals on several other devices.

It's possible that the output impedance of the on-board audio is higher than optimal, which can interact with some headphones in some situations. I'm vague on the technical reasons, just read about this second-hand. Search this forum for "output impedance" to read lots more.

One cheap way around would be a small USB sound adapter. This takes the on-board audio out of the equation. Recommendations for such adapters can also be found on this forum.
I'm personally using an Audioengine D1 adapter for this (more expensive than necessary), not because my computer sounds bad, but to get a physical volume knob and an easily reachable headphone plug.

Cheers
Kaspar

Reply #2
Dou you think that http://www.ebay.com/itm/Muse-HIFI-USB-to-S...l-/111667684925 one of these will suffice? Also, should i consider buying a sound card instead of an external DAC? If so which one do you recommend? (i really dont want to spend more than 50-100$)

Also, do you think it would be better to have 250ohm version? Or the difference is not that big?

Reply #3
I just found this page: http://www.head-fi.org/t/536815/audio-dist...ow-can-i-fix-it

Quote:
"The problem is most likely not your headphones but more likely that your headphones are underpowered.  Many onboard sound cards and many portable sources do not have the power to adequately drive high-end full-size headphones, which results in the clipping and distortion you hear.  Despite the fact that the SRH750DJ have a low nominal impendence rating, they seem to be a bit difficult to drive properly without an amp as others have reported having similar issues.  So I suggest a small budget amp like Fiio's E5 or Headroom's Total Airhead should do the trick."

Can it be the case?

Reply #4
It is possible that the distortion is clipping
Clipping can happen if the phone needs more current than the amp can supply
It can also happen if some DSP is going on exceeding 0 dBFS.
As Asus talks about features like  Absolute Pitch 192kHz/ 24-bit True BD Lossless Sound,  DTS Ultra PC II, etc

First check if it aint some silly DSP causing this problem.
If possible plug the headphone into an amp with a headphone out and check if it can play loud without distortion

TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #5
I seriously considered this headphone, and have found them relatively cheap used with this issue. In my research, I found out that hairs can get embedded in foam inside the case that contacts the cone. This causes a low-frequency 'rattle'.

Beyerdynamic have recognized the issue, and you can purchase foam that doesn't allow hairs to get through as easily here:

http://asia-pacific-india.beyerdynamic.com...fscheibe-1.html

If you like them, search online for photos/videos/instructions on how to take them apart and, with tweezers, remove the hairs. Unless you want to keep doing that periodically, you might want to pick up the new foam.