Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Flood control too intrusive (Read 13344 times) previous topic - next topic

Flood control too intrusive

I'nm getting dinged all the time by the flood control mesasge.

60 seconds seems to be just too long.

Was 30 seconds tried and found to be too short, or did someone just put in 60 seconds without a lot of thought or experience?

Reply #1
I'm sure it helps a lot to decrease the amount of crap a spammer can post during his five minutes of fame when he gets through.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #2
Yeah, the amount of spam this forum receives is absolutely atrocious. Sorry for the inconvenience Arnold.

Reply #3
Yeah, the amount of spam this forum receives is absolutely atrocious.

Since I rarely if ever see any, then you're saying that hidden workers are constantly scanning for it and making it go away?

Reply #4
You got it. It's a war.

Reply #6

Reply #7
FWIW, I hit the 60 second thing a lot too.

Reply #8

Me too.

Nevertheless, I understand the reasoning. But why is the "flood control" applied before even starting to create a topic or reply and not when posting?

I'd say this thing drives the regulars nuts, or do they have other facilities to post?

Reply #9
Never seen any flood control messages.. am I slow? I think I can be counted as regular. I'm sure that we would have seen more crying about this if it would affect lots of users.

Reply #11
I've started to use the fast reply a lot more often lately but I use the reply/add reply buttons too occasionally. So it could be that only normal members are affected? Ok, still, I think that we would (have) see(n) more posts about this if it would be a big problem.

EDIT:
But why is the "flood control" applied before even starting to create a topic or reply and not when posting?

That's a good question! Harder to implement that way I guess..

Reply #12

Me too.

Nevertheless, I understand the reasoning. But why is the "flood control" applied before even starting to create a topic or reply and not when posting?

I'd say this thing drives the regulars nuts, or do they have other facilities to post?

I hit it all the time.
-----
J. D. (jj) Johnston

Reply #14

Me too.

I hit it all the time.

+1

Reply #15
It gets me mostly when I am posting an upload, plus a post linking to it.

Reply #16
I get the flood error if it has been less than 1 minute between posting and hitting a reply button (on another thread). I like read everything before I start posting - seems like a good policy. I'd not get the error (and I think we'd still be protected from spammers) if the 1 minute was measured from reply to reply or post to post.

Reply #17
I hit this quite frequently also.

And its not like the site is going get suddenly DoS'ed in the face if its dropped to 15 seconds.

Reply #19
I already hit this wall after having answered a quick foobar question and then wanting to begin writing another answer elsewhere. Could maybe just the "submit reply" action have this time limit, not calling the "add reply" form?

Reply #20
I hit the wall only sometimes, but it's a convenient way of making me stop and think about my posts a bit more. There has been one instance where I decided to scrap a big one because it was just vague incoherent crap anyway.

Since I rarely if ever see any, then you're saying that hidden workers are constantly scanning for it and making it go away?

You got it. It's a war.

Ain't it the truth! On a forum I admin, I've had to install some greasemonkey scripts to aid my goal of fast cleaning up a mess and keep from going insane.

Staff is usually quicker than the users who report spam anyway. 

Reply #21
Oh this limit would have helped so much back on the old HA server, when things got sluggish and people furiously tried to get their posts through...
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #22
Would it be easy to implement a function which decreases it for users with a sufficient postcount?

Sounds reasonable.