Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Create "empty" (ogg / matroska / ?) container, how? ( / .wav, even ?) (Read 2401 times) previous topic - next topic

Create "empty" (ogg / matroska / ?) container, how? ( / .wav, even ?)

In need for a "placeholder" for missing tracks without audio, to keep metadata. Need to be able to create empty container file for metadata only. If that is technically invalid in the format in question, a good second would be if fb2k can read and tag it.

Any tool to quickly generate one and copy metadata? Seems that ffmpeg isn't happy about filling a file with nothing but metadata, but I was able to make zero-length speex-in-.ogg (and as .spx) and have fb2k read it.

If it matters, one can assume there is embedded art present (some formats may take that as a "video codec" in case they don't accept empty containers).

Re: Create "empty" (ogg / matroska / ?) container, how? ( / .wav, even ?)

Reply #2
This creates 0-samples flac with tags from the input:
Code: [Select]
sox input.flac output.flac trim
Works for ogg vorbis too.

Reply #3
Nice. I have a 2 second empty wav file, which I use just for that purpose, to be a placeholder.
I don't have much need for it, but it sits in the root of my library just in case.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #4
This creates 0-samples flac with tags from the input:
Code: [Select]
sox input.flac output.flac trim
Works for ogg vorbis too.

Interesting. foobar2000 claims nonsense granule (maybe I should have updated my sox) ... I managed to get ffmpeg create zero-length .ogg files too, which fb2k is happy about.
sox generates aiff that fb2k is happy about, but I have not succeeded at doing it with .wav.

Attached a few empty files - and one with a single sample, if that is interesting  :))

Reply #5
Any .mka file can effectively be truncated into nanosecond length if you create one chapter mark inside with that length.