Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lossless Playback (Read 14773 times) previous topic - next topic

Lossless Playback

Reply #25
i have to say that the ADI-2 beats them all. i was always able to find out which one the ADI-2 is in a blind test.
i think it's really worth the money because it has got a lot of professional features which you often don't get when buying a dac from some "high fidelity brand" that comes in a well designed chassis and all that stuff (you know what i mean)...

Thank you, this is what I wanted to know...  and yes, I know what you mean by those (sometimes way overpriced) HiFi brands.

In the end I think I'm gonna end up getting both a dedicated DAC like the ADI2 and an "average" (according to audiophile buffs) AV amp.  I'll route the stereo s/pdiff to the adi2, and the DTS stuff to the AV amp.

Lossless Playback

Reply #26
Hi again

I organised a DTS-decoder to perform the bit-true test you told me to do in the "bit true thread".

With Winamp and Asio Drivers both - the terratec ewx24/96 soundcard and also the m-audio transit usb device - passed the test with a 44.1k dts signal.
Without Asio driver they didn't.

Something's strange:
With asio the volume level in winamp (=windows mixer) has no effect of course.
But the control-panel of the ewx24/96-card has a software volume control too.
there I can reduce the volume - even with asio drivers. Result: The DTS-Sound is reduced in volume.
--> Question: A reduced volume signal cannot be bit-true. But I still can hear the sound (no noise).
Is this dts-test just to check if there took a resampling take place? But it seems not to be sensitive if just the Volume is reduced?
Can anyone explain this?

Thanks
Olaf

Lossless Playback

Reply #27
Hi again

I organised a DTS-decoder to perform the bit-true test you told me to do in the "bit true thread".

With Winamp and Asio Drivers both - the terratec ewx24/96 soundcard and also the m-audio transit usb device - passed the test with a 44.1k dts signal.

Something's strange:
there I can reduce the volume - even with asio drivers. Result: The DTS-Sound is reduced in volume.
--> Question: A reduced volume signal cannot be bit-true. But I still can hear the sound (no noise).
Is this dts-test just to check if there took a resampling take place? But it seems not to be sensitive if just the Volume is reduced?
Can anyone explain this?

Thanks
Olaf
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=347861"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i think this is related to the post i just made... that NO ONE has responded to yet... come on guys i know you know these things...

Lossless Playback

Reply #28

Something's strange:
Can anyone explain this?[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Are you using a digital connection and an external DTS decoder? It was some time ago when I last time played 44.1 kHz DTS wave files through my Terratec DMX 6fire 24/96, but if recall correctly the Terratec master volume was bypassed.

Check my answer here: [a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=39456&view=findpost&p=347952]http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ndpost&p=347952[/url]

Lossless Playback

Reply #29
Are you using a digital connection and an external DTS decoder? It was some time ago when I last time played 44.1 kHz DTS wave files through my Terratec DMX 6fire 24/96, but if recall correctly the Terratec master volume was bypassed.

Yes, a digital connection and an external decoder.

But it's not the dmx fire. It's the ewx 24/96 (only a stereo card, no multichannel soundcard)

Regards
Olaf

Lossless Playback

Reply #30
I just checked your link.

But it doesn't answer to the problem.

A signal reduced in volume cannot be bit-true anymore. Therefore I would expect noise from the dts-receiver. But I can hear it in a reduces volume.

Any Idea?

Regards
Olaf

Lossless Playback

Reply #31
It doesn't matter if the soundcard is stereo or multi-channel. That is bypassed when bit perfect output is sent through the digital connection. My old stand-alone audio only Sony CD player can play 44.1 kHz DTS audio discs through the digital output, but if I use the volume attenuator it has the DTS decoder in the receiver loses the signal.

Does the DTS sign light or show up on your receiver? Can you use all volume settings? I mean: 100%, 90%, 80% ... 10%, 1%, silence.

Do the 44.1 kHz DTS wave files have .wav filename extensions (as they should) and what is the exact software combination used, including the plug-ins and OS level codecs? The software used should not be aware that the signal includes something else than standard PCM audio. It should play the DTS wave exactly the same way it would play standard wave files.

Lossless Playback

Reply #32
Hi Alex

>Does the DTS sign light or show up on your receiver?

Yes

>Can you use all volume settings? I mean: 100%, 90%, 80% ... 10%, 1%, silence.

Yes, the complete range. But it's not the software slider in winamp which is out of order since I'm using the asio drivers.

It's the software slider in the control-panel of the soundcard that can be used to reduce the volume.

>Do the 44.1 kHz DTS wave files have .wav filename extensions
Yes

>plug-ins
Asio plugin for winamp

The only explanation I have is that the card dts-decodes all channels, changes the volume of each channel and encodes again.

But it's only a stereo card 

Ok, it's written that the card passes dts-signals. Would be very sophisticated if they really decode, change volume and encode again just to pass dts....

Olaf

Lossless Playback

Reply #33
Maybe it's using some kind of digital signaling to lower the volume - does the S/PDIF spec allow for that?

Lossless Playback

Reply #34
Maybe it's using some kind of digital signaling to lower the volume - does the S/PDIF spec allow for that?

As far as I know there is no such thing in SPDIF - but I'm not 100% sure

Olaf

Lossless Playback

Reply #35

As far as I know there is no such thing in SPDIF - but I'm not 100% sure

Olaf
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=348907"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There are some proprietary ways to do this - s/pdif has quite a few bits which are not used in normal practice and can be populated for vendor-specific pruposes. I have a suspicion that Meridian active loudspeakers do this but I'm not sure. Anyway there is definitely no official spec for this sort of thing.