Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Good method of determining mp3 properties? (Read 3077 times) previous topic - next topic

Good method of determining mp3 properties?

Hi there everyone,

I've recently begun using Rubyripper on Ubuntu 10.10.  As per some instructions found here, I set my lame MP3 string to this:

-V 0 --vbr-new

Which, if I'm reading it right is supposed to get me the highest possible variable bit rate that this setup can produce.

Right-clicking the file in an explorer window and choosing properties, it is stating that the bit rate is 96 kbps.

With two other rippers, both set at the highest possible, I got 48 and 32 kbps.

I thought that maybe the issue is that with vbr, the explorer isn't getting a proper representation of the file's properties. So I'm wondering how I could spot check these to get the real properties.  Is there an app anyone knows of that I can use on a linux OS that will give me the true bit rate and other data of an mp3 file?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Reply #2
Thanks very much for taking the time to reply.  I very much appreciate it.

[EDIT]I found that once I installed mediainfo-gui, and not the cli version, things worked out much better for me [/EDIT]

Thanks for all your help!

Reply #3
Got so much great advice and info from these forums, giving a little back is the least I can do.
WavPack 5.6.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100