Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Wavpack hybrid mode in foobar? (Read 3774 times) previous topic - next topic

Wavpack hybrid mode in foobar?

Does anyone know of a way (other than renaming the .WVC files) to disable the use of the correction files when playing a hybrid wavpack 3.97 file in Foobar. Winamp's plug-in has a switch that allows this and I would love to have this ability in Foobar.

Thanks for any help

Reply #1
Does anyone know of a way (other than renaming the .WVC files) to disable the use of the correction files when playing a hybrid wavpack 3.97 file in Foobar. Winamp's plug-in has a switch that allows this and I would love to have this ability in Foobar.

Thanks for any help

Just wondering.. why would you want to do this? Surely you want to play the best possible version?

Reply #2
My computer is used to distribute to mutiple audio sources including a stereo system, a studio mixer and a pair of desktop speakers. There are times where all three sources are in use and the computer is also being used to record from the studio mixer.

I currenly use FLAC for most of my files and wish to stay lossless for any future codecs that may be better or more useful. I'm interested in WAVpack because I can still retain a lossless copy, but use the hybrid for listening purpuses thus cutting down on the disk I/O activity. This is critical when using the computer for the recording process from the mixer. I could be wrong but my quick glance testing showed that the hybrid wavpack uses far less I/O than FLAC.

I could easily make mp3 files from the FLAC files but then I really do have two copies of all music. It just seems logically easier to use the wavpack hybrid because of the I/O savings as well as saving a little more disk space.

I should also add that I cannot hear the difference with the hybrid and lossless versions but I still want the lossless around if needed.

Reply #3
Seems logical.

Are you aware of the full file buffering playback option in fb2k? I think (though I could be wrong) that this buffers the file into RAM (or at least virtual memory) which would help with disk I/O because it would just load the file from disk at the beginning and from then all file I/O would be to memory not disk.

That might help along with being able to stop fb2k using correction files..

Reply #4
You might try OptimFrog, which also has a hybrid mode. I'm not familiar with OptimFrog, so it's possible that even with that format you won't be able to do what you'd like, but I think there's a foobar plugin for it, so you might even give that a try.

edit:
hints: look for OptimFrog DualStream and foo_ofr.
Life is Real...
(But not in audio :) )