Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [Request] Extended sort method for columns_ui (Read 2618 times) previous topic - next topic

[Request] Extended sort method for columns_ui

This request is somewhat involved so I'll start with an explanation.  I hope this hasn't been requested elsewhere, here goes ...

1.  Edit->Sort->(your choice) 

or

2.  File->Preferences->Display->Columns_UI->Playlist view->General (tab)
            Then selecting the "Enable sorting using column titles" option.  Then just clicking on column titles.
This second option is my preferred method of sorting - clicking the titles of the columns seems more intuitive and easily done.  One problem with this second method is that I cannot sort the playlist first by say bitrate, then title, then date.  I intuitively expect that I should be able to do this by clicking first the date, then title, then bitrate. 

So my request is that a feature be implemented so that if column X is clicked, then column Y, then column Z, the playlist will be sorted first by Z, then Y, then X.

So if I click the Title column this order 'effectively' changes to:
"%TITLE% - %ALBUM ARTIST% - %DATE% - %ALBUM% - %DISCNUMBER% - %TRACKNUMBER%". 

If I now click on the Date column the order will change to:
"%DATE% - %ALBUM ARTIST% - %ALBUM% - %DISCNUMBER% - %TRACKNUMBER% - %TITLE%".

My request is that a feature be implemented so that the order will now be:
"%DATE% - %TITLE% - %ALBUM ARTIST% - %ALBUM% - %DISCNUMBER% - %TRACKNUMBER%".
Many media players have title bar sorting, but I have yet to see this type of functionality in any; don't know whether this is too complex to implement or there are some other stumbling blocks, what do you think?

Reply #1
Use the Custom Sort Order.

Edit: Sorry I just saw that you want the Custom Sort Order to automatically be created by clicking the column titles. Well, for the life of me, *I* can't imagine why *I* will need that. It's not that difficult creating a Custom Sort Order.

Reply #2
Just an update (apologies for the long delay) I have since found a single media centre can perform this sort of easy custom sorting; it is Media Center by J. River. .   A trial version can be found at http://www.jrmediacenter.com/download.html, however you have to register.

I still prefer foobar for its customizability, etc. else I wouldn't be posting, please let me know if anyone else has any thoughts on this request.

pepoluan     Posted Nov 13 2006, 20:57
     Use the Custom Sort Order.

Edit: Sorry I just saw that you want the Custom Sort Order to automatically be created by clicking the column titles. Well, for the life of me, *I* can't imagine why *I* will need that. It's not that difficult creating a Custom Sort Order.

No it's not that difficult to create a single Custom-Sort-Order, but if you want to continuously change your Custom-Sort-Order this would be a useful addition.  Personally I would use it extensively - perhaps it is not popular though.

Reply #3
 Huh?  I have been able to sort in any order I want in foobar both with v0.8x and v0.9x (currently using v0.9.4).  It has come in handy quite a few times for masstagging scripts, as well as just for easilly finding what I'm looking to listen to.  I suspect you're doing something a little strange for it not to work.

Reply #4
 I don't think this is being understood very well.  The proposed feature would be implemented to speed up custom sorting.

eboomer     Posted Dec 4 2006, 04:51
       Huh? I have been able to sort in any order I want in foobar both with v0.8x and v0.9x (currently using v0.9.4). It has come in handy quite a few times for masstagging scripts, as well as just for easilly finding what I'm looking to listen to. I suspect you're doing something a little strange for it not to work.

I have never had a problem using this feature or getting it to work - but can't perform a custom sort in under 2 seconds as I would be able to using the above method and simple mouse clicks on respective columns!

Is there something I'm missing, is this feature already available somehow - without retyping i.e. not 'Edit->Sort->Sort by ...' and then typing a specific order?