Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Automatic DataBase Update (Read 19247 times) previous topic - next topic

Automatic DataBase Update

First, sorry for ugly English... 
A new foobar feature that make database do update itself when reading renewed tags from files... It's good, but in some cases it turns unwanted side: for example, if I write new tags in DB for files on cd, that was without tags originally (or with wrong ones) — thus, foobar update DB with no tags (or wrong tags) when I play these files.
My little suggestion is to make feature of optional switching between update DB or not when reading files — in future release of such VERY GOOD player! 

Reply #1
What? is there a way to have an automatic updated database (and so the albumlist) in foobar2000?  Right now with 0.8.1 i have to add the files manually to the playlist in order to have them updated in the database.

Reply #2
foobar database is updated either when you manually reload info from file or when you try to play a file (timestamp of last file modification is compared to timestamp stored in database; if they're different info will be reloaded from the file)

Oh, and of course it's always updated when you move or tag files using foobar.
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Reply #3
Yes, I know that. But thanks for your reply 

I was thinking if there's a way to have an updated database of my HD music, without having to load everytime news songs or folders into foobar or tag it or whatever, just specifying a folder and that foobar2000 take care of updating it, whatever a change (album added or songs deleted or somethign changed) is happening. Something like the watchfolder option in Musicmatchjukebox (sorry guys, don't jump on me, it's a feature I do like in MMJB  , the rest: foobar2000 rocks!).

Sorry if this is off topic 

Reply #4
Although there is noe automatized sollution for this at the moment. You could always limit your database to certain directories in the preferences and then use the rescan database button form time to time.

Reply #5
maybe the addition of a "watchfolder" would be nice for some, but with upwards of 17000 tracks, it becomes problematic and slow...

Reply #6
OK, I'm actually writing a plug-in to do this called: foo_dbupdate,
and it's been halted because I didn't think others wanted it, not to mention
my schedule got really busy, but now that I see there's a need for it
I'll continue development for it..

So I guess expect a build for it in the next 2-3weeks ?

- Mig

Reply #7
mig: great! 

Reply #8
OK, I'm actually writing a plug-in to do this called: foo_dbupdate

Great! 

Thanks a lot for this. I guess you'll make a lot of people happy  .

I'll wait for that. Thanks again.

Regards.

Reply #9
So I guess expect a build for it in the next 2-3weeks ?

HI Mig,

is there any news about your plugin? 

Reply #10
Hi... Sorry I'm in finals at the moment, which has halted development.. I will continue development in about a week after my finals, its mostly testing at the moment, but I will be releasing something very soon, since I also need testers at this point....

Reply #11
Hi... Sorry I'm in finals at the moment

Oh, good luck then for your exams

Reply #12
I plan on continuing development of the plugin pretty soon, could I get some suggestions as to what people specifically want to do with the plugin, what I have so far is the ability to detect changes in monitored directories and add/remove (added or removed) files from the database as the changes occur in foobar, i'm also considering tracking the changes while foobar is not running on the machine, however that would become an option, because it would mean backround checking by the plugin on the file system and a slower system/foobar while the checks are done...

Reply #13
Mig: You select folders, unlimited, but folders to scan.
You can set up a filter, for example if a new file/folder is created in the folder "Albums" those files are added to the playlist named "Albums" and so on..
If the files doesn't match any of these filters, then they are added to the playlist named "Misc." or something like that.
That's how I want it to be, others may want it to be different, but filters would rock....

Reply #14
i'm also considering tracking the changes while foobar is not running on the machine

This could be cool, so it will (maybe?) prevent re-scan completely the 'watchfolders' when you open foobar, and save launching time. It could also be very useful if you don't usually shutdown your computer and have foobar running all the time. If it doesn't use a lot of ressources it's a cool option that I'll love.

About the filter option it will be great, because if (like me) you have a playlist with all your music (as a media library) it will automatically update it! 

Another (that's more personal taste of course) cool option will be (if filtering is possible) to check new tracks and place them also in a 'New' playlist.

Thanks for your work mig 

Reply #15
Mig: You select folders, unlimited, but folders to scan.
You can set up a filter, for example if a new file/folder is created in the folder "Albums" those files are added to the playlist named "Albums" and so on..
If the files doesn't match any of these filters, then they are added to the playlist named "Misc." or something like that.
That's how I want it to be, others may want it to be different, but filters would rock....

An idea might be to silmply let this component interact with the extended playlist generator.  I think this should be possible and might save mig a lot of work.

The extended playlist generator already allows the setting up of such filters and creating the desired playlists.

Reply #16
pcimixer: didn't know that, thanks

Reply #17
Hmh, should have probably expressed myself a bit more clear here as well.  What I meant is there might be a possibilty for mig to call upon the extended playlist generator directly from within his plugin. Not entirely sure though.

Reply #18
I am waiting for the mig's release impatiently!
minka niau!

Reply #19
I am waiting for the mig's release impatiently!

It's coming soon, I just needed to get a paying project done first...  Will definetly get to it in the next 3-5 days, and I should have a release out within the next week... I will try to implement as many things as I see (and understand) here... If there's something I'm not quite getting the grasp of (featurewise) I will post here...

- mig

[edit]

Ok, just so we're clear this is what I have so far, and what I'm planning on implementing:

1) While plugin is loaded and enabled, and directories to monitor have been selected, the plugin will detect any changes to the monitored filetypes in those directories and update the database accordingly (this means add/remove/update any new/removed/modified files).

2) Filters will be setup in a way that you can select what files go into what playlist (if available, otherwise they go into a specified playlist).

3) To make matters clear as well, only folders that are monitored will be scanned upon reopening of foobar, to conserve system resources, whatever -NEW- files were added to the folder while foobar was not on will automatically be added to the database (in their corresponding filtered playlists if applicable).  [editedit] NOTE: Modified or Deleted files will -NOT- be updated in the database, for that you can use foobar's internal 'Remove dead entries', etc. options.  The reason for this is that there is no efficient way (short of rescanning the whole database) to detect any changes in files, but I can always detect which files are new in a directory at a very low resorce cost. <-- This is specifically for when foobar2000 is not running and there are changes (added files) to monitored directories, read #1 for changes that will be reflected in the database for when foobar2000 -IS- running on the system. [/editedit]

More to come, please ask for a feature if you want it, and drive me in the direction that will make this plugin useful for most people, as what I need from it is to simply updated the database (add files to it) whenever I add files to a directory...

On a final note, the plug-in will only be available to the NT/2000/XP users (due to the API I'll be using to monitor the filesystem).

[/edit]

Reply #20
1) While plugin is loaded and enabled, and directories to monitor have been selected, the plugin will detect any changes to the monitored filetypes in those directories and update the database accordingly (this means add/remove/update any new/removed/modified files).

Does updating of the database mean also adding new files into predefined playlist(s)? I really want to define certain directories for certain playlists to add new music files in it.
It can be done on foobar start (if you dont want to waste resources) or on every amount of time. Of course there must be an option for selecting scanning mode.

NT/2000/XP is ok for me.
Thank you.
minka niau!

Reply #21
Yes it can be done on predefined playlists, and it will be done in real time while foobar is running, unless you drop 1,000 files every couple of minutes, you won't notice a difference in your system... #3 will be done by scanningon startup, however #1 will be done in real time...

- mig

Reply #22
Will definetly get to it in the next 3-5 days, and I should have a release out within the next week... I will try to implement as many things as I see (and understand) here...

Thanks for your work on that plugin. I'm sure this will make my (and a lot of people) 'foobar living' a lot easier 

Reply #23
http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~mjg57/foo_updatedb-src.zip

You can find the source of what I've gotten done there, it isn't much since I never really got time to get back into the development of it again, that's about 2 days worth of work in there.  If anyone wants to continue working on it, feel free to use what I've started to continue and make a good plugin that I'd most likely use myself.  But as of right now I have other paying projects that I just cannot take time away from to work on this..

- mig

Reply #24
But as of right now I have other paying projects that I just cannot take time away from to work on this..
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=225653"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's understandable, people have to eat  Thanks for the time investing on this plugin, I hope someone else will continue the development