Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ntfs or fat32 for media library (Read 14380 times) previous topic - next topic

ntfs or fat32 for media library

Reply #25
>The maximum (FAT32) disk size is approximately 8 terabytes . . .

And with such large cluster sizes, if you install Windows it will take up 8 terrabytes

Reply #26
ext2ifs = http://www.fs-driver.org

later

This would have been really great to use with windows, but it does not seem to be compatible with TrueCrypt. Ever time I would try to create a new encrypted folder or drive the computer would crash. Uninstall ext2ifs, and it works fine.
OP can't edit initial post when a solution is determined  :'-(

Reply #27
If you plan to plug your external HD on some dvd player with usb, don't forget that they can only read FAT32, not NTFS.

Reply #28
When i had a fat32 partion i had lots of lost clusters, broken files the rsult of r windows crashes and other fine window problems. Then i converted to ntfs and i never had a lost cluster since (5 years agoo).

Choose ntfs if you have the choice.

Reply #29
Thanks to Spoon and Soultrain for backing me up.
No user should push the hardcore boundaries with FAT32. There is a reason it has those limitations.

Reply #30
When i had a fat32 partion i had lots of lost clusters, broken files the rsult of r windows crashes and other fine window problems. Then i converted to ntfs and i never had a lost cluster since (5 years agoo).

Another good reason, indeed. Same experience here since switching to NTFS after I upgraded to XP from ME a while back.

In any case, Windows won't FAT32 format any drive larger than 32GB, so if the OP's drive didn't ship with FAT32 in the first place (and it's more than likely >32GB), this is a moot question.
EAC>1)fb2k>LAME3.99 -V 0 --vbr-new>WMP12 2)MAC-Extra High

Reply #31

Another good reason, indeed. Same experience here since switching to NTFS after I upgraded to XP from ME a while back.

In any case, Windows won't FAT32 format any drive larger than 32GB, so if the OP's drive didn't ship with FAT32 in the first place (and it's more than likely >32GB), this is a moot question.

It's entirely possible to format FAT32 drives larger than 32GB using either third party tools or even using Windows' command line tools. I had a 200GB drive that was only usable when formatted as FAT32; being used as NTFS it kept losing data.

Reply #32
It's entirely possible to format FAT32 drives larger than 32GB using either third party tools or even using Windows' command line tools. I had a 200GB drive that was only usable when formatted as FAT32; being used as NTFS it kept losing data.

We already covered this.

Can we get a list of recommended free Windows tools that will format drives larger than 32GB with FAT32?
OP can't edit initial post when a solution is determined  :'-(

Reply #33
We already covered this.

Can we get a list of recommended free Windows tools that will format drives larger than 32GB with FAT32?
I have used SwissKnife (currently v3.22, and free!) very successfully recently - on two 2.5" drives in USB caddies!
lossyWAV -q X -a 4 -s h -A --feedback 2 --limit 15848 --scale 0.5 | FLAC -5 -e -p -b 512 -P=4096 -S- (having set foobar to output 24-bit PCM; scaling by 0.5 gives the ANS headroom to work)

Reply #34
Not for Windows as such, but I use gparted for everything partition related - the live CD is fine for creating, resizing partitions etc. in a variety of formats. Probably a bit overkill just for creating a FAT32 partition, but it works well and since you can boot from it, it makes changing system partitions a lot easier (although still not recommended for the careless!)

There is also a built in command in Windows that will format above 32GB of FAT32, but I've no idea what it is any more.

Reply #35

h2format from German tech magazine c't.
I have used it several times to format external USB drives and can recommend it.

It's a command line tool for Windows. Unfortunately the included docs are written in German. Here are the most important hints from the docs:

1) using the Windows management console create an unformatted partition and assign a drive letter to it, for instance X:

2) open a command line window (cmd.exe) and type
h2format X:    (replace X: with your real drive letter from step 1)

2a) advanced usage: the optional parameter "sectors per cluster" may be given (values 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64).
warning! using too small cluster sizes will result in a great number of clusters on the disk, increasing the size of the FAT and potentially causing problems (e.g. Scandisk on Windows XP not working; Mac OS X crashing).

For those people who prefer GUI programs there is a tool called Fat32Formatter. (I have never used it and can't tell you if it works as specified...)

Reply #36
mkfs FTW