Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ogg Vorbis Development Progress (Read 41937 times) previous topic - next topic

Ogg Vorbis Development Progress

Reply #50
One interesting piece of news, from this month's meeting minutes, is that Monty seems to be tired of being in an administration position and wants to get back into vorbis-tech again.

Reply #51
One interesting piece of news, from this month's meeting minutes, is that Monty seems to be tired of being in an administration position and wants to get back into vorbis-tech again.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=279156"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is wonderful news.  If Monty is back and Vorbis development is moving forward again, then I guess my role becomes redundant so I can move back to the sidelines and watch with interest.

Reply #52
But I think you should tell Monty about your work so that the important changes at least get checked in.

Reply #53
Is this news true? I always believe Monty will not let his baby (Vorbis) be.

Reply #56
I have also taken a look to this complementary block switching algorithm. To do this, I’ve called a full Panzer Division of samples. Some of these samples are maybe not relevant: instead of using only “micro-attacks” samples, I have also put some “micro-details” ones. What’s the exact difference? I can’t explain it well. By microattacks I mean many short, repeated and contiguous attacks; by microdetails I mean one of a few short and soft attacks or simply musical asperities. Microdetails are similar to microattacks, but with lesser intensity. They’re not necessary detected as something sharp, and therefore, are sometimes neglected by the encoder. Microdetails are therefore removed, or blurred and they disappear (partially or totally) after encoding.

I’ve noticed in the past that vorbis tends to soften and sometimes remove these microdetails. All encoders tend to do this, but vorbis apparently more than lame, mpc or aac. Rival offers generally a crisp and sharp sound. Vorbis could be compared to RV9 or RV10 video format, which “overblurs” some fine details, whereas other formats could be compared to MPEG-4 encoders which try to maintain these details. I expect from a new or complementary block-switching algorithm to solve this issue, as well as thicker asperities called “microattacks”.

I have limited the test to ~130 kbps encodings (-q4): it’s much easier and faster to test than higher bitrate encodings; and this bitrate corresponds to my current interest for lossy formats (average bitrate and highest quality possible). All samples are uploaded, and therefore could be tested by anybody interested in higher bitrate.

I’ve compared 1.1 encoder to the modified one (QK 2005.02.28 now called QK28). It might be interested to put results in perspective by comparing them with another high quality format. Just to see if I’m not requesting from Vorbis results which are not achieved by competitors. I have decided for AAC. The nature of these samples (difficult one, with microattacks) requires a VBR method to maximize quality. That’s why Nero AAC was used instead of iTunes AAC, very good too, but CBR only.

Results are on this post:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=32080

Reply #57
Some of you may find this of interest, just off the [vorbis] mailing list:
>> Have you had a chance to try out aoTuv B3 yet?  As far as I can remember,
>> aoTuV's quality -2 sounds like quality -1 in Vorbis 1.0, but at
>> considerably lower bitrates.

Yes, including cursory analysis.  In the previous versions, Aoyumi
mostly tightened up the parameters of existing libvorbis (as well as
adding a HF slugger that mostly was a quick hack).  In AoTuV b3, his
work is much more original and 'moving forward'.  There's some very
nice temporal analysis and shaping going on that's beyond anything
I've done, and I'm pouring over it in detal with the time I have; i
think this version's going to teach the old dog a few new tricks.

His -q-2 isn't *quite* as good as current -q-1, but it's close and has
consistent/reliable behavior.  Make no mistake, AoTuV b3 is once again
a solid, noticable improvement over the stock libvorbis.

Monty

Reply #58
Aoyumi сonsistently post a pre-beta 4 build
now new aoTuV pre-beta4 [20050412] available with non-restricted q value
it seems soon we will have beta4.

Reply #59
...here

Reply #60
Ya!! aoTuV beta4 released

the main changes are:

# An addition and change of the code of a channel coupling processing portion. Thereby, disorder of the sound energy on hearing becomes small.  And a part of additional code of beta3 which is not required has already been deleted now.
# Tuning of Masking relation and Noise Normalization. These mainly influence balance and the quantity of distortion which can be heard.
# The bit allocation by the low bit rate was devised. This is generally effective.
# Bug fix of beta3

get in here: http://www.geocities.jp/aoyoume/aotuv/