Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Using lossyWAV for an "open MQA" ? (Read 8470 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Using lossyWAV for an "open MQA" ?

Reply #25
https://www.ificlaims.com/news/view/blog-posts/ifi-data-enhancements.htm

I'm not a lawyer, but I read it as: fees have not been paid, so the patent has expired (I guess that means it cannot be enforced), but it can still be reinstated and even extended.

So, if you want to base tech on this, they can't sue you right now, but they might if they pay fees to reinstate the patent?
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #26
Goddamn, OK.
I thought there was no real way to extend patent protection past its expiry date, but OK.

Now, if they start paying fees again, what about the time where pees were not paid? Can you be sued retrospectively? That doesn't seem fair.
Can patents be extended (past their 20 years term) retrospectively? Can you like "unearth" MP3 patents, for instance?

Someone please clarify.

Reply #27
Now, if they start paying fees again, what about the time where pees were not paid? Can you be sued retrospectively? That doesn't seem fair.
The linked page says: "patents kept alive due to a provision that allows missed payments to be made retroactively". So that seems a 'fee related expiration' is one that can be reversed.

Can patents be extended (past their 20 years term) retrospectively? Can you like "unearth" MP3 patents, for instance?
Once again, I'm not a lawyer, but I found this. Apparently patents can be extended, mostly with drug-related patents, due to the delays in patent publication or product approval. Doesn't seem to apply to software patents, as no approval is necessary such as with drugs.

Anyway, this is US law. Patents elsewhere in the world probably work differently.
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.