Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Programs like MP3Packer? CBR to lower quality VBR (no re-encoding). (Read 2484 times) previous topic - next topic

Programs like MP3Packer? CBR to lower quality VBR (no re-encoding).

I have some 320 CBR MP3s and want to reduce them to VBR. MP3Packer does this, but does not reduce the file size very much. Is there a program I can use to select a target bitrate without re-encoding? Sorry if this comes off as naive.

Re: Programs like MP3Packer? CBR to lower quality VBR (no re-encoding).

Reply #1
No, you cannot. Reducing the complexity of frames to reduce the bitrate significantly requires re-encoding. The most that MP3Packer can do is remove padding.

Reply #2
Sorry if this comes off as naive.
Bitrate peeling is not more naive than finding its way into the Ogg Vorbis specification - but so naive that nobody ever implemented it.

If you are looking to make it fit on, say, an Android phone, then a suggestion could be to transcode to Musepack or Opus, presuming that you don't have any such files from other sources. Then you can start at low bitrate, knowing instantly from the file type that these can be thrown away if they sound bad.

Reply #3
MP3Packer does this,
MP3Packer reduces CBR files to the same quality in VBR. As far as I know, there are no programs that can reduce an MP3 to a lower quality MP3 without re-encoding.