Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Portable desktop player to Audible.com files? (Read 13831 times) previous topic - next topic

Portable desktop player to Audible.com files?

I don't want to circumvent the DRM, re-encode the files, etc., I just got bored with the horrible Audible desktop software.

I wonder if any 3rd party, preferably portable and lightweight software can play Audible.com files, if I provide it with my password?

Reply #1
iTunes

Reply #2
iTunes

Not exactly light on the system but at least something. Thanks.

I wonder if VLC or Foobar2000 can do the trick with some plugin.

Reply #3
Your source material is protected, encrypted or otherwise made to seem to be something other than audio data. Whatever plays it must have the code to use the password to unhide the data's true nature. If there is any other software that works, Audible should know about it, just as they know which hardware players work.

While it doesn't mean something else doesn't exist, that something else would most likely be in violation of all the copyright/DRM laws in existence.

Reply #4
Audible released a directshow decoder, which when installed will allow their files to be played by any direct show capable player (I am sure FB2K is one), read this:

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php...tShow-specifics

The short of it was Audible lawyer-ed up many years ago because we linked to their software, we have since changed that page to describe the program they created, sort of like a history lesson .

Reply #5
Audible released a directshow decoder, which when installed will allow their files to be played by any direct show capable player (I am sure FB2K is one), read this:

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php...tShow-specifics

The short of it was Audible lawyer-ed up many years ago because we linked to their software, we have since changed that page to describe the program they created, sort of like a history lesson .

Sorry, not 100% understand your English (I am not a native speaker, you? )

Anyways, there are programs like SoundTaxi, etc. which also know Audible code: http://stream-recorder.com/forum/remove-dr...-copy-t878.html

Reply #7
These programs use the Audible player or iTunes to decrypt and play the input Audible file, then record the output, all in the digital domain.

Reply #8
I don't want to circumvent the DRM, re-encode the files, etc., I just got bored with the horrible Audible desktop software.

I wonder if any 3rd party, preferably portable and lightweight software can play Audible.com files, if I provide it with my password?

If you paid for it, you have a right to listen to it. That's what you paid for.
If DRM is getting in the way of you exercising that right, there is nothing wrong with circumventing it.

There is only a problem with circumventing DRM when you are doing so to distribute the file or listen to a file you did not pay for the right to listen to.

Circumvent the DRM if you must and use a player you want to use. Don't let the audio dictate what software/hardware you have to use to listen to it.