Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: libvorbis 1.3.4 (Read 44424 times) previous topic - next topic

libvorbis 1.3.4

Reply #1
There will be, in time, but since there are no functional changes, it will not be a top priority.

libvorbis 1.3.4

Reply #2
I patched this and compiled.  libvorbisfile and libvorbis were roughly the same size, while libvorbisenc (which was by far the biggest) was less than half the size.  Should be half again on 64 bit architectures I think.  Sounds the same to me, certainly nothing horrible happened.  The patch is pretty big, although blindingly simple.

libvorbis 1.3.4

Reply #3
Hello everyone,

i was also trying to compile the oggenc.exe with a MinGW/GCC toolchain but had no success so far. #1 libogg, #2 libvorbis seem to build as they should but #3 vorbis-tools always end up in 'checking for vorbis...yes | checking whether OV_ECTL_COUPLING_SET is declared...no | configure: error: Vorbis >=1.3.0 required !'
I really would appreciate if there's someone out there who could point me to the right direction. I have to admit that i have only very limited programming experience but i got a few other binaries (generic lame build (btw. faster than the ICL one of rarewares); fftw; xvid; ..) compiled succesfully after reading all the INSTALLs and READMEs and searching the forums/web.

Thank you
Martin

libvorbis 1.3.4

Reply #4
I don't know anything about MiniGW, but that is a new option introduced in 1.3.0.  Due to this new option, your libvorbis and vorbis-tools both have to have a version greater than 1.3.0 in order to be compatible.  That is what the error is saying and it looks like it thinks the libvorbis version is too low.

libvorbis 1.3.4

Reply #5
I was using all the latest packages from xiph.org, so vorbis should be v1.3.4. The path settings seem to be ok as the libogg*.dll and libvorbis*.dll were created succesfully. What i also discovered in the config.log is 'fatal error: vorbis/vorbisenc.h: No such file or directory' but this header is available everywhere in the packages or copied to the include folders. The vorbis-tools leave me puzzled...

If someone experienced a comparable issue i would be really happy to get further hints.

The reason why i try to compile a few things by myself is because i want to see a little more into this process and because i can optimize the binaries to my specific platform (bypassing the suboptimal performance of the ICL for non-Intel systems).

Martin

libvorbis 1.3.4

Reply #7
The results of my testings show something different. Of course this is only valid for this specific task of audio encoding.
Generally the Intel compiler does not optimize equally as Intel also has state on their websites
(http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/optimization-notice#opt-en).

As far as i remember the binaries from Rarewares by john33 are optimized also to a certain degree (as are mine).
Here are the results - partially quite historic systems i know, but nice to see how they cope with this:

AMD Richland APU (Piledriver arch.)
ICC 9.1 Rarewares: ~ 10,8
ICC 12.1 Rarewares: ~ 39,6
GCC 4.8.2 Generic SSE2: ~ 49,2
GCC 4.8.2 CPU specific: ~ 54,0

Intel PIII (Coppermine arch.)
ICC  9.1 Rarewares: ~ 4,5
ICC 12.1 Rarewares: ~ 8,0
GCC 4.8.2 Generic SSE: ~ 8,2
GCC 4.8.2 CPU specific: ~ 8,4

Intel Celeron M530 (Core arch.)
ICC  9.1 Rarewares: ~ 11,7
ICC 12.1 Rarewares: ~ 20,3
GCC 4.8.2 Generic SSE2: ~ 21,1
GCC 4.8.2 CPU specific: ~ 21,6

Intel Core i7 (Sandy Bridge arch.)
ICC  9.1 Rarewares: ~ 36,2
ICC 12.1 Rarewares: ~ 49,4
GCC 4.8.2 Generic SSE2: ~ 56,1
GCC 4.8.2 CPU specific: ~ 57,0

So my conclusion: GCC provides a more constistent performance across different architectures.
It can outperform the ICL clearly even with generic builds and especially on non-Intel platforms.
These testings led me to the try of compiling the vorbis-tools by myself and also to see remarkable speed gains.
But unfortunately i had no succes as written before...

libvorbis 1.3.4

Reply #8
No Windows binaries yet?

libvorbis 1.3.4

Reply #9
No - i had to surrender. Maybe i try to cross-compile from a Linux some day. Of course i am still curious
to see how Oggenc would behave when looking at my promising Lame results.

libvorbis 1.3.4

Reply #10
http://dropcanvas.com/sil25

Token from TAC 0.9.5 beta (from RareWares.org before it went down), I can't get it to work with foobar2000. Try people try and let me know.

Thanks.

libvorbis 1.3.4

Reply #13
It's not that sorry, install a portable foobar2000, copy that file and test it. It really takes 1min.

I already said I'm getting the same error as you with foobar.
But you're right, the culprit is not the -Q switch, I spoke too soon. It might be related to stdin because all others parameters are working fine in a command line. This needs further testing which I can't do at the moment.

BTW this also looks weird:
Code: [Select]
Writing library                          : libVorbis (Turpakäräjiin) (20140122 (Turpakäräjiin))

libvorbis 1.3.4

Reply #14
It is possible to test stdin with command line:

oggenc2.exe -q 4 - -o out.ogg < input.wav

...and yes, it crashes.

libvorbis 1.3.4

Reply #15
BTW this also looks weird:
Writing library                          : libVorbis (Turpakäräjiin) (20140122 (Turpakäräjiin))

Exactly, I saw that too but ozok said it was from RareWares so I didn't even say anything.

libvorbis 1.3.4

Reply #16
Vendor string for 1.3.3 is "Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20120203 (Omnipresent)", for 1.3.4 is "Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20140122 (Turpakäräjiin)"

libvorbis 1.3.4

Reply #17
Directly from info.c:
#define ENCODE_VENDOR_STRING "Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20140122 (Turpakäräjiin)"

libvorbis 1.3.4

Reply #18
It is possible to test stdin with command line:

oggenc2.exe -q 4 - -o out.ogg < input.wav

...and yes, it crashes.

Brazil2, lvqcl, thanks. Any way around it?

libvorbis 1.3.4

Reply #19
Any way around it?

a) use custom encoding settings such as "-s %r --ignorelength -Q -q4 %s -o %d"
b) use older oggenc
c) ask john33 to fix the bug...

libvorbis 1.3.4

Reply #20
oggenc2 compiles updated at Rarewares to fix STDIN bug.

libvorbis 1.3.4

Reply #21
aoTuV Beta6.03 (2014):

The latest aoTuV beta6.03 was unified with Xiph.Org's libvorbis1.3.4. The part related to sound quality is not changed from previous version.

libvorbis 1.3.4

Reply #24
Previous venc.exe was ~1.7 MB, so only 1MB size difference.