Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to Check Whether Drive Reads CD-Text Using EAC (Read 5729 times) previous topic - next topic

How to Check Whether Drive Reads CD-Text Using EAC

I am trying to figure out whether my drive can read CD-Text so I can configure EAC properly.  I have a CD that I already know contains CD-Text.  How can I use EAC (or something else) to check whether my drive can read CD-Text?

Right now I have EAC set so that it will NOT download metadata automatically from an Internet database.  When I put in this CD that I know has CD-Text, the CD Title is displayed as "Unknown Title", the CD Artist is displayed as "Unknown Artist", tracks are named "Track01", "Track02", etc.  I am not sure if this means EAC cannot obtain the CD-Text, or if I have to click something to get it to check for CD-Text.  Does EAC automatically check for CD-Text when you put in a CD?

I already have "CD-Text Read capable drive" checked in the Drive Options.

Thank you!

Reply #1

Strangely, right after posting this question, I found a solution in my EAC notes from a long time ago.  "To test whether your drive can read CD-Text, turn off your modem, start up foobar2000 or VLC media player, insert a CD, and observe whether the media player obtains CD info."

I tried this using foobar2000 and it was able to display the CD-Text.

So I'm just wondering why EAC doesn't do this automatically, and how I can get EAC to read the CD-Text.

Reply #2
So I'm just wondering why EAC doesn't do this automatically, and how I can get EAC to read the CD-Text.

To let EAC read the CD-text you have to enable "CD-TEXT Read capable drive" in the "Drive options" menu. Insert the cd and then use "Get CD information from" in the "database menu" and choose "CD-TEXT". Now eac will read the CD-TEXT information from the current inserted cd. To read the CD-TEXT from following cd's you only have to choose "Get CD information from" => "CD-TEXT" in the "databse menu"

Greetz,

Ben

Reply #3
Thanks!