Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to do surround playback from stereo material (Read 2513 times) previous topic - next topic

How to do surround playback from stereo material

Hello guys

I am a new user and need some help,

actually the main reason i switched from Windows media player to foobar2000 are the plugin support.

I have Logitech z506 5.1 sound system and lookin for the best plugin to simulate a surround playback, i tried channel upmixer but it makes the sound really bad, if there is a new updated plugin that does it in a good experience pls recommend to me one.

Reply #2
is there any more up to date plugin ?

Reply #3
I updated the topic title to better describe your concern. This should help you get more answers from people who have experience in this area. I hope you enjoy your stay on this forum!

Reply #4
I'm still quite happy with Channel Mixer as it is very flexible.
Of course being flexable means that you should adjust the settings to your needs. For example (asuming upmix surround mode) enough Rear in Front to maintain a reasonably stereo effect (between 0.75 and 1.00). Subwoofer in Upmix at 0.00, center not too loud.

The "sister" plugin Matrix Mixer, that I have not tried.

Freesurround (that Apesbrain mentioned) has also many settings, of which a lot don't sound good. It seems to work best on Dolby surround encoded material.

There is one that creates 4.0 (but in a 5.1 stream?) called Quadraphonic Stereo. It is a bit tricky to configure (again) but maybe you like to try it.

Then again, don't expect wonders. I ususally get the best results on my (hardware) receiver using Dolby ProLogic (Music) there.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #5
For music on my home theater system, I use the Dolby "soundfield" options such as "Hall" or "Church" to get some reverb and delayed audio from the rear speakers.    These effects are normally applied in hardware (in a home theater receiver) or they are part of your soundcard driver so they are independent of the player or (player software).  But, you may find a foobar plug-in you like.

Purists don't like to monkey with the stereo recordings and some people just prefer listening to stereo recordings in 2-channel stereo as they were intended.  You may find that you don't like any of these artificial effects.

The normal Pro Logic move modes generally don't work well for music because the music is not Dolby encoded.  It may "work" (and it may like the effect) with some music, but it's decoding something that wasn't intentionally encoded and the results are not predictable.  And, since Pro Logic mostly works by "steering" the sound to a particular direction, it's generally unnatural for music  .  (You may not want to hear the musicians & singers moving around as they play & sing.)

Reply #6
I personally love AndrewLabs' ATSurround plugin.
Project Leader of DDResampled