Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Listening or hearing (Read 5297 times) previous topic - next topic

Listening or hearing

Interesting argument, c-net is hosting both sides:

background music is fine...
http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/music-multitas...-enhances-life/

stop what you're doing, and listen to vinyl...
http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/to-listen-to-m...s-the-question/

I don't see a "music should be listened to, but not from vinyl" option. Though I can't remember the last time I sat down and just listened to music at home. I often pay more attention to music in the car or when walking than I pay to the world around me (sorry other drivers), but that's still not listening in isolation.

OT: I'm probably old fashioned in that I spend an hour nearly every night just watching TV. Lights off, no phone/tablet/laptop/anything, watching something I've recorded days or weeks ago, and chosen to watch. Whereas I'm sure most people multitask when watching TV - I'm sure most TV programmes are edited with the assumption that you're not watching it properly.

Cheers,
David.

Listening or hearing

Reply #1
I never listen to my favourite music as background noise really. Partly because i don't want it getting overplayed and stale, partly because i do agree that someone's art deserves my (full) attention. Just listening to music up to ~6 hours a day in a dark room, while doing nothing practical is very appealing to me. I like to convince myself it's a learning experience, and pay extra attention to the production side sometimes. That said, i almost always daydream about things other than the music and the production itself, too, so i wonder if that's multitasking as well.

I think most pop music is appropriately reserved for background music, top40 radios, malls and whatnot. Even moreso than ambient music

Listening or hearing

Reply #2
How about both? Sometimes when I'm working I just need background noise, other times I want to sit down and actually listen.

Listening or hearing

Reply #3
I second the "both" statement. I have different playlists for "background music" and "focused listening".
The former I use when I'm working on something (coding, writing, etc), with the music really just giving me the rhythm to work in. The playlists usually contain a lot of music with everything I deem "enjoyable to listen to".
The latter I use when I really want to focus on the music and just appreciate the details. Those playlists usually contain favorites only, or new music I recently got.

Listening or hearing

Reply #4
How about both? Sometimes when I'm working I just need background noise, other times I want to sit down and actually listen.

Same here - alittle from column A, a little from column B. But I feel that I have drifted too far towards background listening in recent years, and will be trying to correct the balance, as a New year's Resolution.

Listening or hearing

Reply #5
My opinions vary wildly from the ones expressed here. My "old favourites" bear both "comfort listening", ie. using it as background noise, or sustained listening, ie. getting deep into the music. I tend to comfort listen as a work aid. I find I need a specific headspace to properly appreciate new music these days, but after a "proper" listening, I tend to know which releases I like well enough for them to progress on to my "comfort listening" library.