Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 32bit files (Read 9729 times) previous topic - next topic

32bit files

Reply #25
I said this thread is chaotic because I can't do anything with posts like this:
I want more bits! More more more! Infinity+1 bits of sweet sweet music!

On Bob Katz' site there's this:
This 16-bit CD illustrates that there is no noise floor problem at high monitor gains and that it is a myth that 16-bit CDs have to be compressed or limited to fit in the medium! After all, CDs have a measurable 115 dB dynamic range (properly dithered)--noise floor is NOT a problem.

I totally agree with analogy's post.
In fact, we could all be perfectly happy with CD for the rest of our mortal lives. These 115dB are such a great dynamic range that you get deaf from a starting jet engine at 115dB, while you don't notice anything than your heartbeat and rushing blood at 0dB.
The greatest (RMS) dynamic range that ever occurs may be about 50dB for classical. That is very very much. So there's still hughe headroom for the peaks (should be at least 20dB) and footroom left. Today's pop CDs have only a RMS dynamics of ~3dB and the same for peak -- insane, and it's ridiculous to talk about >16bit resolution.
I know that I know nothing. But how can I then know that ?

32bit files

Reply #26
In addition to my previous post:
For editing, a higher resolution is, of course, still recommended.
Also, 32bit is available as a float format which allows sample values above 0dBFS. That is the real advantage: no need to fear clipping. It's especially useful for clip restoration, because it then provides the neccessary headroom for the added peaks.
I know that I know nothing. But how can I then know that ?