Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC C2 Error Correction; use it or not? (Read 8076 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC C2 Error Correction; use it or not?

Even if you are sure your drive has this feature, should you use it? I use it at a high priority, on secure mode, with high error correction(yes, I am paranoid, but speed means nothing since I'm in no hurry), should I put on C2 error correction, or keep it as it is? I looked through all the search results, couldn't find anything on this.

Reply #1
yes, although if you have an error that cannot be recovered it will lock things up, it enshures you are correcting even slight errors that you would otherwise miss
Chaintech AV-710

Reply #3
Yes, the EAC FAQ explains the basics :

Q:
What is C2?
A:
On all CD-ROM media are at least two levels of error correction, called C1 and C2. If both fail, the output is probably not correct anymore. Most drives are not able to report if audio reads failed or not, so each block had to be read twice and be compared to make sure that everything is fine. But some newer drives are able to report if C1/C2 failed on specific samples on a read, making it possible to read only once and see if a read error occured. But there is still a problem, as some drives do not report these errors correctly, so you should test it thoroughly before trusting the results.

But this thread summarizes EAC's secureness in the different secure modes : http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ST&f=20&t=7277&

When Tigre asked me to include it in the FAQ, I told myself "let's do it as soon as have some little time..." I'd better having done it at once 

Reply #4
Also notice that EAC has two C2 error info features:
(sorry if I repeat your words like a parrot, Pio. Just to be sure...)   

* use C2 error info to detect errors (this is what you guys have been talking about)
* use C2 error info to correct errors ('on the fly') (this is a kind of not-reliable deglitch, as Pio mentioned before)

Reply #5
Let me repeat better :

*Use C2 info to correct errors (rereading)
*Use C2 info to deglitch unrecoverable errors (glitch removal)

Reply #6
But there is still a problem, as some drives do not report these errors correctly, so you should test it thoroughly before trusting the results.
Pio, this is what I've consistently seen you post.  Isn't it fair to say - it's still a fairly small fraction of drives that have really been tested, so unless you know yours is one of them - best not to use it.  So from this, I would conclude that the answer for most people is - no, don't use the C2 features.

Reading the link you posted above as well as this EAC forums link are examples of what you usually post - most people should not use C2.

But reading this thread seems to suggest otherwise.

Reply #7
I suggest to test the C2 accuracy of your drive, this way, you know how good it is, and more drives are tested. http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/eac13.html

Reply #8
Will EAC correct errors in secure mode if CRCs mismatch? eg "use the drive C2 info to correct errors" is enabled and tracks have been tested and copied, no C2 info was retrieved during test and copy even so the CRC of the copied tracks is not the same as the one of the tested track, will EAC in this case try to correct errors still during the copying process?

If so I beleive the best extraction method to choose would be always to test and copy tracks in secure mode with the C2 option enabled (actually as Pio2001 has already suggested).

In the case EAC will not try to correct the errors, would be a better method instead to disable C2 and only copy tracks in order to keep extraction yet as fast as possible - and secure?

Does it make any sense if I choose always to test and copy tracks using the Burst mode, and in the case I will rip a badly scratched CD or one where scratches are easily viewable I change to the Secure mode, so that if CRCs mismatch with the Burst mode and a clean CD I can still try to rip the tracks using the Secure mode?
I ask if this makes any sense because this way extraction should be real fast while I still have a chance to check whether it was 100% sucessfull or not, AND (as already stated) no errors should be caused by re-positioning the reader head.

Thanks for your attention.
I already read all the FAQs and the links pointing to the EAC forum in the FAQs and many of Pio2001 posts. I hope those are yet some valid questions.

Reply #9

It's late now, I'll answer these questions within the next days if someone doesn't do it in the meantime.

Reply #10
Will EAC correct errors in secure mode if CRCs mismatch? .

No
Does it make any sense if I choose always to test and copy tracks using the Burst mode, .

yes
extraction should be real fast

Not as fast as C2 mode, and about as fast as no C2 no cache, since you have to read everything twice (one test and one copy).