Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I want to make playlists without rearranging my entire album structure. (Read 2646 times) previous topic - next topic

I want to make playlists without rearranging my entire album structure.

I want to make playlists for specific genres for instance: best of polyphony, best of piano concertos etc.
Currently when I add tracks to a playlists the tracks get removed from the album.
Surely this can't be the default functionality because I can't imagine anyone in their right mind would want a track to be removed from an album? So am I doing something wrong?

I also don't like having to navigate an entire drop out menu in order to add a track to a playlist.
This is one of those things where foobar is just needlessly complicated. Imagine how much easier it would have been just to have a little tick box next to each track which opens up a menu asking which playlist you want the track to be added to (obviously without removing the track from the album). 

Are there any plugins which enable these things?
Hhhmmmm Croissants.....

Re: I want to make playlists without rearranging my entire album structure.

Reply #1
Currently when I add tracks to a playlists the tracks get removed from the album.

There is definitely something wrong with your foobar setup/plugin/skin. That is not default behavior.

BTW foobar is very simple to use (one of the reasons I like it) but if you are using some custom made skin it can be very complicated.
I would suggest you to use default layout or make one that suits you most.

You can add files to any playlist you want by simple drag & drop from windows explorer.
Somewhere, there's someone dying in a foreign land
Meanwhile, the world is crying stupidity of man
Tell me why, tell me why

Reply #2
Thanks for your reply,

There is definitely something wrong with your foobar setup/plugin/skin. That is not default behavior.
I'm actually glad to hear that, because that means the issue might be fixable.

BTW foobar is very simple to use (one of the reasons I like it) but if you are using some custom made skin it can be very complicated.
I would suggest you to use default layout or make one that suits you most.
I'm not using any skins.

You can add files to any playlist you want by simple drag & drop from windows explorer.
But that's extremely inefficient. I don't want to have to leave foobar to add a track to a playlist. The ability to select a track and add it to a playlist is the most basic functionality of any music player.

And doesn't dragging & dropping in windows explorer remove the file from it's album? Or do you mean making a shortcut in a playlist?
Hhhmmmm Croissants.....

Reply #3
Hi there,

Not sure why tracks are being moved for you. Dragging and dropping (either from Explorer or foobar library / playlists) should only be adding a link / copy, not removing the source. Tracks are grouped by tags, so unless you are changing the %album% tag, they should still be listed in library viewer as part of the album.

As to ease of adding individual tracks to a playlist, that depends greatly on your layout. ('Playlist Manager' helps)

I also don't like having to navigate an entire drop out menu in order to add a track to a playlist.
How are you currently doing it? Do you mean right-click > 'Add to Current Playlist'?

Cheers

Reply #4
I want to make playlists for specific genres for instance: best of polyphony, best of piano concertos etc.

Have you looked into "Smart Playlists"?

the forum Search works quite well.

Reply #5
Not sure why tracks are being moved for you. Dragging and dropping (either from Explorer or foobar library / playlists) should only be adding a link / copy, not removing the source. Tracks are grouped by tags, so unless you are changing the %album% tag, they should still be listed in library viewer as part of the album.
Hi, sorry for the late reply.

I forgot to mention that I'm using Simplaylist to display my albums. Perhaps Simplaylist considers my albums playlists and therefore removes them from an album when I add them to a different playlist?
Hhhmmmm Croissants.....

Reply #6
Would you be so kind as to send me a link to the install page for this component, as I seem to be unable to find it?
Hhhmmmm Croissants.....

Reply #7
Would you be so kind as to send me a link to the install page for this component, as I seem to be unable to find it?

It's not a component, it's a feature of FB.

https://tom2tec.wordpress.com/2017/07/21/foobar2000-playlists-autoplaylists/

and search the forums for autoplaylist or smart playlist...