Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Burn audio cd-r with ID3 tags? (Read 12533 times) previous topic - next topic

Burn audio cd-r with ID3 tags?

Hallo, this is my first post here and my apologies if this topic has been redone, I have done a search but I didn't see something exactly like this show up. Well, as the title says, I want to know if I can burn audio cd-r with the ID3 tags in, containing information about Band, track title, Album, Genre, and so on. The ideal situation would be that the tags should be "kept" when mp3s are ripped off the audio cd-r, or at worse case the info should just show up on players like Winamp, Media Player, etc. I'm afraid my knowledge of the matter doesn't go much beyond trying to do it with Nero and not succeeding, so I'd like to ask if anyone has heard if this is possible and by which programs.

Reply #1
If you mean burning an audio CD, the the best you will do is to store CD-text information, which is just album name and each track name. If you mean burning a data CD with MP3 files then all of your tag information will be preserved.

Reply #2
If you mean burning an audio CD, the the best you will do is to store CD-text information, which is just album name and each track name. If you mean burning a data CD with MP3 files then all of your tag information will be preserved.

yeah, I did mean burning audio cds. Cd-text is what Nero is supposed to "burn" to the cd I guess, but it doesn't work on Media Player for example, at least in my case (although it does in winamp), and the info you can put for an album is limited. That's why I was wondering if it was possible to burn a cd with the ID3 tags write away..

Reply #3
No, and burning an audio cd with the intention of keeping the information when you re-rip it is foolish IMO, since you are making a multi generational file when if you kept the source mp3s then you would have none of the losses inherent in taking it to audio cd and back again.

IMO there is no compelling reason to burn an audio cd from mp3 files these days.

Reply #4
Hallo, this is my first post here and my apologies if this topic has been redone, I have done a search but I didn't see something exactly like this show up. Well, as the title says, I want to know if I can burn audio cd-r with the ID3 tags in, containing information about Band, track title, Album, Genre, and so on. The ideal situation would be that the tags should be "kept" when mp3s are ripped off the audio cd-r, or at worse case the info should just show up on players like Winamp, Media Player, etc. I'm afraid my knowledge of the matter doesn't go much beyond trying to do it with Nero and not succeeding, so I'd like to ask if anyone has heard if this is possible and by which programs.

It is now 2013 and I would like to know.

Reply #6
The answer was given in post #2, five years ago. For the rest, Google is your friend.
https://www.google.com/search?q=CD-Text
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-Text
http://web.ncf.ca/aa571/cdtext.htm
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/HowToWriteOr...ithImgBurn.aspx

Thanks, I know what CD text is, and I know how to skim links off the first page of a Google search.

Reply #7

Nothing has changed except that (most likely) fewer people deal with CD-R which would mean that it is less likely than before that anything will change.

You are left to write a script that parses mp3 files in order to create a cue sheet, I'm afraid.  Share that script and things will have changed.

Reply #8

Nothing has changed except that (most likely) fewer people deal with CD-R which would mean that it is less likely than before that anything will change.

You are left to write a script that parses mp3 files in order to create a cue sheet, I'm afraid.  Share that script and things will have changed.

Bummer... I just wanted to make a mixtape to send to my boyfriend, but three hours of troubleshooting later, this is getting to be more complicated than the United States economic crisis.

Suppose I'm re-installing iTunes, then. (cringes)

Reply #10
It's worth burning with CD text if you have something that supports CD text (e.g. our car CD player displays it), but it's not of great value in terms of ensuring that when the CD is subsequently re-ripped the titles are present.

There are two other possibilities:
1. Just send the mp3s. No burning or re-ripping, no loss of metadata/tags and no loss of quality.
2. Submit your CD track listing to whatever metadata provider(s) you expect people's rippers to use to look up the information. (i.e. you rip it yourself, type in the titles in the ripping program, and submit the data. There may be easier ways of doing it though.)

2 is generally considered to be naughty for home burned compilations - but I've done it a couple of times when that same compilation is going to several people, or when I have some other reason for expecting it to be ripped later.

Cheers,
David.