Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Internet Radio with normalized Program Levels possible? Yes they are&# (Read 8135 times) previous topic - next topic

Internet Radio with normalized Program Levels possible? Yes they are&#

Yes it is possible to have radio stations normalized.
Take a look at https://www2.iis.fraunhofer.de/AAC/metadata.html

If you download the Stereo HE-AAC test file (direct url, right click and choose Save As)
and play it in VLC or XMPlay (from un4seen.com, make sure to turn off the automatic amp first) they both handle the meta info (might be an annoying blip though at times).
Foobar2000 and Winamp and WMP12 nor any of the browsers (Firefox/Chrome/Opera/IE) does handle it as they should.
I was most surprised with Foobar 2000 and Winamp though.

The technical doc explaining some stuff is here http://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/content/dam/i...per-V032013.pdf

Unfortunately I know of no HE-AAC encoder out there that can pass along the meta info. The HE-AAC encoder shipped with Winamp could be able to, (it's by Fraunhofer) but winamp do not support it.

Ideally a encoder plugin (like maybe the one Shoutcast.com has for Winamp) would use the ReplayGain info and pass that along for each song.
Non-shoutcast streams have other ways to pass along meta info (icecast can use Ogg meta stream/sidestream info I think?)

As thee broadcast world is moving towards (or has moved to) EBU R128, there is no reason why internet radio can't follow suit. Foobar 2000 (and latest Winamp too?) uses a EBU R128 based ReplayGain, so passing that info along in some way as the HE-AAC program level seems rather obvious. (to me at least)

Reply #1
Unfortunately I know of no HE-AAC encoder.

Well! I know know.  VLC and XMPlay (which both uses FAAD2?) can be used to play at least the stereo HE-AAC example.

Reply #2
Interesting. You might try posting in forums.winamp.com to see what the developer(s) think.