Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Which headphones for extended studio use? (Read 2766 times) previous topic - next topic

Which headphones for extended studio use?

I will soon be buying a pair of headphones to be used for mastering and personal listening. I have it narrowed down to these.

AKG K271 Studio $180
Etymotic ER-6 Earphones $100
Sennheiser HD280 Pro Headphones $100
Sennheiser HD580 Headphones $200
Sennheiser HD595 Headphones $230
Shure E3c Earphones $180

Apart from the sound quality, my primary concern is that they be extremely comfortable during long periods of time. Also, I don't want to pay 2x price for a 10% increase in quality, as there are other things in which that money would be better spent.

So, which do you recommend?

Reply #1
Why not Beyerdynamic DT250?

Reply #2
I f you want comfortable headphones have a look at the Beyerdynamic DT100 headphones.
I use them all the time at work (I work in a Community radio station) & have used them  for hours at a time.
Any thing is they a bit pricey.

Reply #3
Consider if you want open or closed/sealed. Open headphones tend to be a bit more comfortable for long-term use.

You can't really go wrong with the Sennheisers . Maybe consider the HD-25s - I dunno what the collective view on them is around here, but they are quite comfortable and have a lot of isolation.

Don't buy the ER6s unless you've tried proper in-ear earplugs and are comfortable with them. They just don't work for some people (I use the Etymotic ER-20 earplugs a lot and I find them slightly uncomfortable - the ER-6s fit the same way).

And yeah, I second the Beyer recommendation - there's a reason they're the standard in TV - they're really quite rugged and comfortable.

Reply #4
the erg's if u can handle in-ears. the frequency response graph speaks for itself:
http://www.headphone.com/graphs/showGraph.php?graphID=477
but for closed go with the HD595's
Computers hear best in Digital form. Humans hear best in Analog form. Which one are you?