Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can/How foo_musicbrainz write Picard Musicbrainz Tags ? (Read 569 times) previous topic - next topic

Can/How foo_musicbrainz write Picard Musicbrainz Tags ?

Hi All,

I'm trying foo_musicbrainz (v0.5.0, Build: 23:52:56, Feb 23 2023) and figured out, that the tags written by this component are different to the tags Picard writes.

That leads to a completely ignoring of those tags when you put those music files into a mediaplayer, say Plex, which reads those tags.

In the screenshot the upper tags are written by the component
and the lower tags are written by Picard.

Is there a way to let the component write Picard like tags, so they will be recognozed by software confirmed to work with musicbrainz tags ?

Thank you!

Re: Can/How foo_musicbrainz write Picard Musicbrainz Tags ?

Reply #2
Thank you,

what does this mean in practical terms?

How do I have to set up F2k to use FLAC/Vorbis tags to get the component foo_musicbrainz write the tags picard write?

I don't get it right now...

Reply #3
foo_musicbrainz was never meant to write tags that are compatible with other apps. You should use Picard for that.

Here's an excerpt from the docs I wrote when I spent a short time maintaining it....

### Tag Mapping

Before you consider using this to tag your files, it's important to note that it does
not strictly adhere to the `Picard` tag mappings as documented [here](https://picard-docs.musicbrainz.org/en/appendices/tag_mapping.html).

If compatibility with `MusicBrainz Picard` or other taggers/players that make use of `MBID` data is
more important then you should probably avoid using this. More details of what this component
does and why can be found [below](#the-nerdy-stuff).

### The Nerdy Stuff

When it comes to tagging `MBID`s, this component always follows the naming conventions used for `Vorbis`
comments regardless of the underlying file format/tagging sheme.

For example, it will write `MUSICBRAINZ_ARTISTID` instead of `MUSICBRAINZ ARTIST ID` to `MP3` and `M4A` files.
Repeat that for all tags prefixed with `MUSICBRAINZ`.

The following differences affect `ID3` tagging only:

- `DISCSUBTITLE` is written to `TXXX:DISCSUBTITLE` rather than `TSST (SET SUBTITLE)`
- `LABEL` is written to `TXXX:LABEL` rather than `TPUB (PUBLISHER)`
- `MEDIA` is written to `TXXX:MEDIA` rather than `TMED (MEDIA TYPE)`
- `MUSICBRAINZ_RECORDINGID` is written to `TXXX:MUSICBRAINZ_TRACKID` rather than `UFID://musicbrainz.org`
- `RELEASECOUNTRY` is written to `TXXX:RELEASECOUNTRY` rather than `TXXX:MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM RELEASE COUNTRY`
- `PERFORMER` is written to `TXXX:PERFORMER` rather than `TMCL` / `IPLS`

The whole purpose of this is to unify tag display/search across `foobar2000` regardless of file format.
It's easier to search for `%LABEL% IS blah` rather than `%LABEL% IS blah OR %PUBLISHER% is blah` which
is what you'd have to do if this was `Picard` compatible.

Reply #4
Darn, I wish, I would have found this piece of documentation earlier!

Thank you very much marc2k3 !!