Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_midi (foobar2000 v2.0) (Read 27493 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_midi (foobar2000 v2.0)

foo_midi is a component that plays MIDI files.

The old foo_midi component has been archived by kode54. This version:

• Is a 64-bit component that is compatible with foobar2000 v2.0 or later.

URL: https://github.com/stuerp/foo_midi/

Download from the Releases page.

Re: foo_midi (foobar2000 v2.0)

Reply #1
No VST support.  :(

Reply #2
I compiled it as I found it. I haven't really looked into re-enabling the experiments, let alone add any new functionality.

How would one test the VST functionality? I don't have any MIDI-enabled equipment.

Reply #4
v2.7.4.1

- Adds a 32-bit version.
- Re-enables foobar2000 v1.6.13 support.
- Adds Dark Mode support for foobar2000 v2.0.

Reply #5
v2.7.4.1

- Adds a 32-bit version.
- Re-enables foobar2000 v1.6.13 support.
- Adds Dark Mode support for foobar2000 v2.0.

Adding the missing .exes from an older build by @kode54 restores VSTI playback for the 32-bit version only but the 64-bit version doesn't work and just hangs but will still list VSTIs if a path is specified in advanced area of preference.

VSTI Path is crossed out in screenshot so people don't mistaking use the file path I'm using when setting it up on their system.  You can point it anywhere on your system.

VSTI you can use to test: http://veg.by/files/midisynth/yamaha_syxg50_vsti.7z

Reply #6
Thx.

I found the kode54 source code for scpipe and vsthost and will try to rebuild them too.

Reply #7
v2.7.4.2-alpha, "The Temple of VeSTa"

- Adds 32-bit VST plugin support.

Note: 64-bit VST plugins don't work yet.

Reply #8
Hi :)

v2.7.4.2-alpha, "The Temple of VeSTa"
foo_midi.fb2k-component

where is it?
SHURE SRH1840, SENNHEISER HD660S2, SENNHEISER HD 490 PRO, DT 1990 PRO, HiFiMAN Edition XS, Bowers & Wilkins P7, FiiO FT5, 水月雨 (MOONDROP) 空鳴 - VOID, Nakamichi Elite FIVE ANC, SONY WH-ULT900N (ULT WEAR) (made a Upgrade/Balanced Cable by myself)

Reply #9
Duh. Forgot to add it.

Please look again.

Reply #10
Duh. Forgot to add it.

Please look again.

Many Thanks pqyt. :)
SHURE SRH1840, SENNHEISER HD660S2, SENNHEISER HD 490 PRO, DT 1990 PRO, HiFiMAN Edition XS, Bowers & Wilkins P7, FiiO FT5, 水月雨 (MOONDROP) 空鳴 - VOID, Nakamichi Elite FIVE ANC, SONY WH-ULT900N (ULT WEAR) (made a Upgrade/Balanced Cable by myself)

Reply #11
It took a while to find the bug in the 64-bit version of the VST host. Turns out it also was a problem for foobar2000 32-bit.

v2.7.4. "The Temple of VeSTa"

- Added 32-bit and 64-bit VST instrument support for foobar2000 v2.0.
- Fixed 64-bit VST instrument support for foobar2000 v1.6.3.

Reply #12
https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_midi+%28x64%29 says:
Supported processor architecture: x86 32-bit
It's 64bit too. Should be:
Supported processor architectures: x86 32-bit, x86 64-bit.
It might be a bug in foobar2000.org/components, if no upload of the component. @Peter

Reply #13
Okay, the processor architecture field is only filled automatically (you cannot fill it yourself) and that only happens if you upload a file, so it's a bug in the site, so if you don't upload a file the default value is used. I'll look into it.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #14
I noticed that too.

First, I added a release with a download but I changed my mind because GitHub allows me to monitor the download count via the releases API (yes, I'm vain  :-[ )

Reply #15
some feedback
list .sf3 to supported soundfont format if it really supports to load it.
bundle some bass add-ons for compressed soundfonts like the old one
cannot play with Secret Sauce, missing scpipe32 and scpipe64
no need to bundle vsthost32 and vsthost64 into x64 folder again
also there is update for libOPNMIDI and libADLMIDI
regards :)

Reply #16
list .sf3 to supported soundfont format if it really supports to load it.
Can you confirm it works? I have not tested that yet.
bundle some bass add-ons for compressed soundfonts like the old one
Will do. I left them out because I didn't see any use for them.
cannot play with Secret Sauce, missing scpipe32 and scpipe64
scpipexx was the first code I recompiled. But I don't know how to test it.
no need to bundle vsthost32 and vsthost64 into x64 folder again
I think I do. I think the foobar2000 installer simply copies everything it finds in the root or the x64 directory. I don't think it can cherry-pick. There is not deployment manifest in a component.
also there is update for libOPNMIDI and libADLMIDI
Will look in to it.

Thx. for the feedback.

Reply #17
Can you confirm it works? I have not tested that yet.
just tested it. it works. though I tested via sflist to load it because soundfont picker doesn't list the format like here. it needs bass add-on. to make it work. I haven't checked sf3 support until I saw it on readme. I just remember it was a new feature when library switched to fluidsynth at a time before switched back to bass. I guess the feature stays,
Will do. I left them out because I didn't see any use for them.
they will be needed to load compressed soundfont, sf3 or sf2pack
I don't see them in the package
I think I do. I think the foobar2000 installer simply copies everything it finds in the root or the x64 directory. I don't think it can cherry-pick. There is not deployment manifest in a component.
if I install on 32-bit version. there will be x64 folder with vsthostxx inside. Since vsthost32 indentical with vsthost32 inside x64 folder and so with vsthost64, you only need package the exes at the root of package,

Reply #18
I don't see them in the package
I didn't include any code that I hadn't tested yet. I will release an alpha with scpipexx and hope for a volunteer tester.
if I install on 32-bit version. there will be x64 folder with vsthostxx inside. Since vsthost32 indentical with vsthost32 inside x64 folder and so with vsthost64, you only need package the exes at the root of package,
They are identical but the 64-bit component does not know about the existence of a 32-bit version. It only looks inside its own deployment directory, by design. It's not smart to add any dependencies on a directory structure outside of its control.
Besides, if the user is savvy enough to optimize the component directory it does not matter. He/She can simply delete the unnecessary files.

Reply #19
It only works with Windows 10? Was there some big change?

Reply #20
I tried this and it works just fine with my roland sound canvas va, yamaha s-yxg50 and vampire vst. The only pity is that it can't use system MIDI mapper which I've been really wanted, it'd avoid reloading plugin for different midi files and be better combining with external MIDI mapper like loopMIDI and VirtualMIDISynth. :) still good work.

Reply #21
It only works with Windows 10? Was there some big change?
It was only tested with Windows 10 and Windows 11.

Reply #22
I tried this and it works just fine with my roland sound canvas va, yamaha s-yxg50 and vampire vst. The only pity is that it can't use system MIDI mapper which I've been really wanted, it'd avoid reloading plugin for different midi files and be better combining with external MIDI mapper like loopMIDI and VirtualMIDISynth. :) still good work.
I have also noticed during testing that vsthostxx starts and stops repeatedly. So far, I have not changed anything to the design and focused on porting to x64. Once I understand the code better I can start looking into adding new features.

Reply #23
The only pity is that it can't use system MIDI mapper

It can't. By design.

For FB2K to work, it needs audio decode services to output to PCM, which then data is used for visualization/converting/DSP/etc. Windows MIDI system drivers don't do this and use their own code for outputting sound.

Reply #24
It can't. By design.

For FB2K to work, it needs audio decode services to output to PCM, which then data is used for visualization/converting/DSP/etc. Windows MIDI system drivers don't do this and use their own code for outputting sound.
Sorry I'm no expert in computer, but iirc general players like winamp and aimp support midi very well, so why can't foobar do this likewise? foobar allows to change sound output device as well.