Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC settings for FLAC (Read 5219 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC settings for FLAC

I've been convinced that using eac and flac to rip my cd's to my computer is the best way to go, but I haven't found a detailed guide on how to set up eac properly to do so. I'm a novice on this subject obviously and I am confused in areas such as the offset correction feauture, which ID3 tags settings to use, and if I should use a native or external aspi for windows xp. Command lines are also an issue, currently I'm using: 

-8 -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s

Is there a better one to use? I'm completely lost and I've read atleast 4 guides on eac configuration, but all vary in certain areas and I'd like to get it right. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

EAC settings for FLAC

Reply #1
I'm sure others will soon respond with more insight and details, but I just want to point out that in general it is not a good idea to use ID3 tags with FLAC files. Use you should untick that box, or you will have a double set of tags in each file. Otherwise chances are pretty high that you will run into problems with other software. FLAC files already have powerful metadata (tagging) possibilities, better than the ID3v2 "standard" IMHO.

Also, you might want to consider a lower compression level. I think the sweet spot for many is around -6. With -8 you don't gain that much in file size, while the compression time increases.

EAC settings for FLAC

Reply #2
Are ID3 tags in FLAC even possible?

As far as I know, FLAC uses the Vorbis standard vor tagging and not ID3.

EAC settings for FLAC

Reply #3
FLAC has it's own native tagging system which is identical to that of Vorbis. They are called alternately "FLAC tags" and "Vorbis comments". It is the only tagging system required and guaranteed to be supported by FLAC implementations.

Out of convenience, the reference decoder knows how to skip ID3 tags so that they don't interfere with decoding. But you should not expect any tags beside FLAC tags to be supported in applications; some implementations may not even be able to decode a FLAC file with ID3 tags.
I'm on a horse.

EAC settings for FLAC

Reply #4
...I've read at least 4 guides on eac configuration, but all vary in certain areas ...

This has always amazed me as well. You'd think that with so many EAC users out there, there would be some consensus as to optimal configuration. When I first set up EAC I read what I could find and then just picked some settings ... I still don't know if I've got things set up as well as I can but it seems to work. I must say though, the HA guides are a lot better and more complete than they used to be. Thanks to whoever has contributed to these updates over the last couple of years.

EAC settings for FLAC

Reply #5
As I was telling someone just the other day, there are very few settings that ought to be changed from the default.  The thing with EAC is that there are so many different little things that you can configure.  When you combine this with the desire by many to explain each and every one (and with such verbosity!), it gets to be quite overwhelming for a newbie.  For the most part, the function of each setting can be be deduced by the name when combined with a little common sense.

As for a basic summary guide, use this one:
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...Lossless_Backup

For reliable information related to the three options in secure mode, refer to this one:
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...#Drive_Features

What hasn't been written to the wiki is a glossary for terms used in EAC and an article dedicated to ripping strategy.  You see a lot of emphasis placed on secure mode, but burst mode when combined with AccurateRip or a test pass is every bit as good at identifying ripping errors.