Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: After upgrading fb2k, Album List Panel does not display anything (Read 8306 times) previous topic - next topic

After upgrading fb2k, Album List Panel does not display anything

Hi folks...  I just upgraded a copy of FB2K from v1.0.1 to v1.1.1, and now for some reason my foo_uie_albumlist Album List Panel shows nothing at all.  I can right click the panel and I get the context menu, but the tree isn't visible.

I had this problem when I upgraded a different installation of FB2K a couple of days ago.  But failing to find the problem, I eventually just ended up building a whole new FB2K installation from scratch.  Album List works fine in a fresh copy of FB2K...  but I'd really like to resolve the issue in this other copy if I can.

I thought maybe I had an older version of foo_uie_albumlist that FB2K v1.1.1 was having problems with.  But I see I've got both foo_uie_albumlist v0.3.5 and columns ui v0.3.8.6 which are the newest from musicmusic's web page.

I've deleted the panel, exited FB2K, restarted FB2K, and set up a new foo_uie_albumlist panel.  But the panel is still blank. 

I thought maybe my black background was hiding it.  But the tree doesn't reappear after any change to the color preferences.

Going into preferences and ticking 'Show sub-item counts', 'Show horizontal scrollbar', and 'Show item indices' does nothing either.

Could it be that upgrading to FB2K has revealed a conflict between foo_uie_albumlist.dll and another old plugin in the \components folder?

2 years into FB2K, and I'm still fumbling around with what seems ought to be basic stuff here.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thx
TS

Edit: I guess this a 3rd party issue, but I see no way to either delete this post, or move it to the 3rd party sub-forum in the post editor.
Geopoliticus Child Watching the Birth of the New Man

Reply #1
what happens when you right-click on the album list panel and select "populate"?
also, dumb as it seems, but just in case, anyways... check if your media library has music folders mentioned.

--
just shooting arrows in the dark

Reply #2
what happens when you right-click on the album list panel and select "populate"?

I don't get that option on any of the copies of FB2K I have.  The only context menu options I get for Album List when right-clicking the panel are:
  • View
    • by directory structure
    • by album
    • by artist
    • by genre
    • by year
    • by artist/album
  • Filter
  • Settings
"Populate"???

also, dumb as it seems, but just in case, anyways... check if your media library has music folders mentioned.

Yes... the music library is monitoring all folders fine.  For the moment I've set up Explorer Tree to get tracks into my playlists.

TS

Reply #3
Album List works fine in a fresh copy of FB2K...

Replace the file "foo_uie_albumlist.dll.cfg" from your not working version with that from your fresh copy.

This could solve problems resulting from a misconfiguration of the Album List panel.
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

Reply #4
you could get the option "populate" if you disable "populate on initialization" from the settings.
foobar preferences > media library > album list panel / advanced--behaviour

but anyways... as Robertina has pointed out above:
delete "foo_uie_albumlist.dll.cfg" which should be either in the configuration folder of foobar itself or "%appdata%\foobar2000\"

Reply #5
Replace the file "foo_uie_albumlist.dll.cfg" from your not working version with that from your fresh copy.

No luck Robertina...  I tried disabling the existing copy and copying foo_uie_albumlist.dll.cfg from the FB2K files on my notebook, booted FB2K, but the problem remained.  Copied a copy of the file over from my portable version of FB2K on a USB flash drive, but still nada. 

Shut down FB2K, deleted the new copy leaving the original in there disabled with a .dis suffix, and restarted FB2K.  It created a new foo_uie_albumlist.dll.cfg.  But still no fun. 

Booted FB2K, deleted the Album List panel, shut down FB2K and deleted both foo_uie_albumlist.dll.cfg and foo_uie_albumlist.dll. Booted FB2K and confirmed no option to create an Album List panel.  Shut FB2K down, copied foo_uie_albumlist.dll to the components folder, started FB2K, created an Album List panel.  And still no go. 

Reply #6
you could get the option "populate" if you disable "populate on initialization" from the settings.
foobar preferences > media library > album list panel / advanced--behaviour

Yes... the option did appear, but selecting it didn't do anything.  It won't re-appear until I enable  "populate on initialization", shut down FB2K, restart, and  disable "populate on initialization" again.  It appears once during a session until I select it, and then it's gone from the context menu thereafter.

Reply #7
I thought maybe my black background was hiding it.

Go to Preferences, Media Library, Album List Panel. In the tab "General" tick the option "Auto send to playlist" and in the field below type "TEST". Then do a right-click on the Album List, choose the "view by directory structure" and left-click in arbitrary areas (but keep to the left) in the Album List Panel.

Under normal circumstances foobar should now populate automatically the Playlist "TEST" with the content of the choosen Album List Panel branch. If this works the reason for the empty appearing Album List Panel would be a colour misconfiguration.

Also you might look into foobar's console where you should find entries like "Album list panel: initialised in 0.015 s". Perhaps you will see instead some error messages which will help you to find a solution for your problem.

Reply #8
...and left-click in arbitrary areas (but keep to the left) in the Album List Panel.

Unfortunately still nothing there...  I had done something similar the other night when I was testing the panel's colors in Display > Colours and fonts > Element > Album List.  But clicking around on the upper left corner of the panel activates nothing.

Also you might look into foobar's console where you should find entries like "Album list panel: initialised in 0.015 s". Perhaps you will see instead some error messages which will help you to find a solution for your problem.

I have been checking the console and have found nothing remarkable.  Just now after boot it just reports:

"Album list panel: initialised in 0.000 s" (sic)

This was my 1st attempt at setting up FB2K some while back now. So I've just been disassembling the whole setup piece by piece, removing various playlist/directory plugins that have accumulated: foo_playorg, foo_playlist_tree_mod, foo_uie_playlists_dropdown, rebooting and checking the console and the Album List panel.

I did just find that the filters are all empty and non-functional too.  I had a set of 3 filters set to Genre > Artist > Album.  But they're all empty, as well as the filter dropdown on the main FB2K columns ui toolbar.  And yet the console reports:

Filter Panel - Genre: initialised in 0.002 s
Filter Panel - Artist: initialised in 0.001 s
Filter Panel - Album: initialised in 0.001 s

So something radical to the library structure is probably corrupted somewhere.

Reply #9
I had this problem when I upgraded a different installation of FB2K

I am unsure what this means exactly but you could work temporarily with administrative rights to make sure that you don't have a read/write permission problem. Also you could go to [menu] Library -> Album List in order to check whether foobar's own Album list gets populated. If not I would assume that you have rather a Media Library problem than an Album List (Panel)/Filter problem, regardless of the fact that foobar says "monitoring". Do you get any hits if you go to Library -> Search and type ALL?

Pressing the "Reset page" button in the Media Library preferences, then re-adding  your music folders and closing f2k should create the file "database.dat" (= the ML content) with several MBs in size, depending on the number of added files. Do you have it?

If none of these proposals works I am unfortunately at my wits' end and I apologize for having wasted your time. Good luck.

Reply #10
If none of these proposals works I am unfortunately at my wits' end and I apologize for having wasted your time. Good luck.

Not at all Robertina...  You helped me zero in on FB2K's library file system.... and that  was the whole problem.

I tried the library search as you suggested, and it came up with zip!  I was quickly coming to the same conclusion that you were.  The problem with the filters not working was an indication that it wasn't a problem with Album List at all.  The library database needed to be refreshed.

I added a path in the Media Library preferences to a folder I do temporary audio work in, and removed the one to the root of my main music library.  Restarted FB2k, and added it back, and voila... all is peaceful on the shores for FooLandia again.  I imported my last fcl backup settings file, and everything is back to the state before the v1.1.1 upgrade.

I had this problem when I upgraded a different installation of FB2K

I am unsure what this means exactly

I had a copy of v1.1 on a UFD that I upgraded to v1.1.1 a few days back, and for some reason I had the same problem with Album List disappearing.  No idea if there's a connection between that and the problems upgrading the copy of v1.0.1 on my PC.

But thanks so very much for all your thoughtful feedback Robertina. Now maybe I'm off to testing an installation of v1.1.2_beta_1 

Reply #11
I am glad that the problem has been solved, TakuSkan.

Now maybe I'm off to testing an installation of v1.1.2_beta_1

Since I am using foobar2000 all upgrade procedures have been without any problems. In the same way it should work for you. 

Robertina.

Reply #12
Huhu,

i have upgrades my foobar now too. how can I hide the Filter-Options. I dont need them. It's easy in Foobar1.0, but in 1.1.8 it seems so, that it isnt possible. :/

Thank you for your help.

Havyn