Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Importing iTunes Library (Read 2072 times) previous topic - next topic

Importing iTunes Library

Okay this seems like such a dumb and over asked question but when I search for this I only get results for
1)copying MP3s over to another library
2)playlist transfering
3)using MP3 tag to keep play counts

Basically over the past 8 years my library has accumulated a ton of stuff in different locations, and those often have a lot of things i don't want to import or things i want to selectively import. The easiest way would be for me to import my iTunes XML file, which i can't seem to do. Otherwise the only thing I see in the Media Library option to add folders in.

Would i have to add each album folder in (there's over 3,000) or what's the best way to go about this?

Re: Importing iTunes Library

Reply #1
Foobar can't deal with iTunes xml files.
I switched over from solely using Foobar to using Foobar & MusicBee for that reason (although I never used iTunes, I just need it as middleware to transfer m3us to Serat/Traktor?Rekordbox... ) so I still use foobar for some things, MusicBee for others, depending on tools/tasks I want to have access to.
If you want to use Foobar with your iTunes data - you could use MusicBee as a middleware/tranlsator as well... i.e. set it up to import your iTunes xml, then export all content from musicbee's iTunes imports to m3u files, which you can then read into foobar.
c.

Re: Importing iTunes Library

Reply #2
Basically over the past 8 years my library has accumulated a ton of stuff in different locations, and those often have a lot of things i don't want to import or things i want to selectively import... the only thing I see in the Media Library option to add folders in.

Would i have to add each album folder in (there's over 3,000) or what's the best way to go about this?

Just on this, the Media Library list in the foobar2000 preferences is typically used for adding the parent folder (or folders) where all a user's music is stored within, rather than individual album folders. foobar2000 then monitors the entire music folder and sub-folders for changes and updates its library automatically.

For selectively excluding folders or tracks the most straightforward way foobar2000 supports is by setting their properties in Windows to Hidden, and it will hide from foobar2000. Un-hiding will reset the 'date added' tags of foobar2000 addons like Playback Statistics however (if you care at all about that). There are other methods of excluding files/folders that come to mind, such as creating an autoplaylist that excludes a folder path, but the hidden files method works across the entire foobar2000 library.