Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iTunes CBR320 @ wrong length – bug or feature? (Read 2733 times) previous topic - next topic

iTunes CBR320 @ wrong length – bug or feature?

I just got my hands on this: http://www.scionav.com/collection/1330/Mes...h---Pitch-Black  (yes, legitimate source – they want your e-mail address, and I've got enough of those to spare).

Downloaded, fixed tags, checked integrity ... well, wrong length isn't that uncommon, but curiosity triggered the cat, so:
- mp3packer'd it (... down to 291 ...)
- made a copy of the original and had fb2k (1.17) rewrite stream
- compared (using fb2k). Three different lengths. Obviously, fb2k and mp3packed do not agree on how to read the original file.

Tag says iTunes 10.7. What's it really doing?

iTunes CBR320 @ wrong length – bug or feature?

Reply #1
i've noticed this before a good couple of years ago when i downloaded some DJ sets from soundcloud - pretty sure they were 192kbps. i remember it mentioned itunes in the tags somewhere but have no idea what version it was. i just ran the foobar fix vbr header thingy and haven't given it another moment's thought.

i think it's pretty much a non-issue as i didn't have any problems playing the files. it was only when i was bored one day that i ran foo_verifier on my whole collection then i spotted it.