Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: XLD ReplayGain (Read 2773 times) previous topic - next topic

XLD ReplayGain

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have spent ages trawling the internet for an answer to this.

In XLD there are two settings related to ReplayGain.
One is in the CD Rip Prefs and is called Scan ReplayGain.
The other is in the LAME option prefs and is called Perform ReplayGain Calculation.
I understand what ReplayGain is but could anyone enlighten me as to what these two options do specifically?

Many thanks.

------------
Pete

Re: XLD ReplayGain

Reply #1
I've never used that program, but LAME has a built in replaygain scan feature that can put tags on files as they're encoded.  Probably that is the one being referred to in the lame settings.

Reply #3
If the "accurate" scanner is merely upsampling to scan for intersample peaks, it may be worth enabling if you care about that sort of thing. It was a popular enough option to end up in foobar2000's ReplayGain scanner, eventually.

Reply #4
As opposed to calculating RG data from the source PCM, accurate, or whatever it is called decodes and scans the newly created mp3 file in order to get correct peak values (correction gain values are essentially going to be the same).  The values are stored in the Lame header, which practically nothing reads.

You said it yourself, people scan with fb2k and they are stored in a tag that just about every compatible player uses already, so what is the point in having that be the second time it is done?

Also, I'd be surprised if Lame's internal algorithm isn't still the original one (pre-R128).

Reply #5
I did not know it was using LAME to scan the files, or that it was storing the tags in the LAME header. How lame.

Reply #6
As command line switches, lame has:

--replaygain-fast (default; calculates track-based peak and correction gain of the input)
--replaygain-accurate (calculates track-based peak and correction gain of the output)
--noreplaygain