Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Recording from Turntable with e-mu 1212m and VinylStudio 7.5.1 (Read 7067 times) previous topic - next topic

Recording from Turntable with e-mu 1212m and VinylStudio 7.5.1

Hello,

This is likely a ridiculously easy question, but I'm a total beginner with Patchmix, etc., so thanks.

I'm attempting to record from vinyl to FLAC using VinylStudio at 96/24. Everything sounds great during recording, but I get constant stuttering when I play that recording.

I've set the recording options to 96/24 in VinylStudio, and I've loaded the default 96k Patchmix session. The only adjustment I've made to that session is to set the Aux send to -15 to avoid clipping.

I've used both the Vista drivers that came with the card and the Win 7 beta drivers that were released with the same results.

I'm guessing this is just a dumb Patchmix beginner error, but here's my setup:

Win 7 64-bit
Intel i7 860 (2.80 GHz)
8GB RAM

E-mu 1212m PCIe
Patchmix 2.20
driver version 6.00.01.1246

VinylStudio 7.5.1

Technics SL-1200 MK2
Shure M97XE cartridge
Cambrige 540P Preamp

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply #3
What happens if you try a samplerate and bitdepth better suited to the limitations of human hearing, ie, 44.1/16? Does the problem go away then?

Reply #4
Hello,

This is likely a ridiculously easy question, but I'm a total beginner with Patchmix, etc., so thanks.

I'm attempting to record from vinyl to FLAC using VinylStudio at 96/24. Everything sounds great during recording, but I get constant stuttering when I play that recording.

I've set the recording options to 96/24 in VinylStudio, and I've loaded the default 96k Patchmix session. The only adjustment I've made to that session is to set the Aux send to -15 to avoid clipping.

I've used both the Vista drivers that came with the card and the Win 7 beta drivers that were released with the same results.

I'm guessing this is just a dumb Patchmix beginner error, but here's my setup:

Win 7 64-bit
Intel i7 860 (2.80 GHz)
8GB RAM

E-mu 1212m PCIe
Patchmix 2.20
driver version 6.00.01.1246

Download RMAA (Audio Rightmark feeware), run a jumper from a line output to a line input of your audio card, and run the tests.

If the card or system has bad issues with tics and pops, the test will not give good results.

Reply #5
If you have another computer available, it would be helpful to play the file on the other computer to confirm if you have a recording or playback problem.  (I'm guessing it's a recording issue.)

Usually, these things are buffer/timing related.  i.e. The CPU & data bus are busy doing something else and you get buffer overflow during recording or buffer underflow during playback.

I don't have any of this hardware or software, but I don't think you need to use both Vinyl Studio and PatchMix together.  Since you're not mixing, you probably don't need PatchMix. 

The E-MU card seems to come with several different applications and I believe many of them can record, so you may want to try something other than Vinyl Studio.  (You'll probably want to use Vinyl Studio for cleaning-up the recording.)

Everything sounds great during recording, but I get constant stuttering when I play that recording.
  You are not necessarily monitoring exactly what you're recording.

I'm attempting to record from vinyl to FLAC
If you're recording directly to FLAC (encoding on the fly), you might try WAV.  This will lighten the load on your CPU.  (I don't know if this will help... just something to try.)

Reply #6
Thanks everybody for your suggestions.  Indeed it ended up being me doing something dumb.  I had monitor recording checked in VinylStudio, so Patchmix sent the playback through the recording as well.  Unchecked it and everything sounds wonderful.

Reply #7
I had monitor recording checked in VinylStudio, so Patchmix sent the playback through the recording as well.  Unchecked it and everything sounds wonderful.

You might be able to configure the Patchmix to not record from Wave out.  That would prevent, for example, a beep generated by another program from getting recorded.  Then you would want to re-enable VinylStudio's monitoring function of course.

Regards - Paul Sanders.
I am an independent software developer (VinylStudio) based in UK