Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_vis_projectM (Read 167067 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #50
This is great work. Will test it exhaustively.

Did I say this was great work?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=306205"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you didn't I will: It's great work!

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #51
this works great for me im in love with milkdrop again thanx sooo much

btw any possablitys to have it pass protect when u got full screen? would be alsome hehe i have a shoutcast server and im hardly home but i love to watch milk drop when im home

but thanx alot for porting this im gonna sit back and enjoy it

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #53
Awesome work, and it's great you're working on a better font support. Maybe, in some hopefully not too distant future, you might even think about implementing one feature I've always missed with milkdrop/projectM: The ability to delete presets from within the vis... Or better yet, move them to an "unwanted" folder or something. I always hated handling hundreds of presets, of which I'd find at least 75% to be quite boring.

And in the same vein (ie managing the presets): Any chance of having the name of the current preset appear during playback (tab version)? Or is that way already there, and I'm just too stupid?

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #54
btw any possablitys to have it pass protect when u got full screen? would be alsome hehe i have a shoutcast server and im hardly home but i love to watch milk drop when im home
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=306234"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
As I said earlier, I might add this if I can figure out a good way to implement it; however, there are other issues that need more attention right now, like fonts and key handling and floating-point exceptions.

Maybe, in some hopefully not too distant future, you might even think about implementing one feature I've always missed with milkdrop/projectM: The ability to delete presets from within the vis... Or better yet, move them to an "unwanted" folder or something. I always hated handling hundreds of presets, of which I'd find at least 75% to be quite boring.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=306363"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Interesting idea.  Not sure what the best way to deal with the possibility of accidentally marking a preset as unwanted would be, though.

And in the same vein (ie managing the presets): Any chance of having the name of the current preset appear during playback (tab version)? Or is that way already there, and I'm just too stupid?
It's there and it isn't.  If you press F3, it'll bring up a preset display.  However, key handling doesn't work in the panel version and I don't know why.  After I get the current round of crash fixes done, I'll go back to trying to fix that.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #55
Hmm, that's really weird.  Is this happening even with the panel closed?

Yes, as soon as it's in my components, the acceleration dissapears. Its really strange...

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #56
I have no idea why that's happening.  Does it also occur if you take out the panel version and install the non-panel version?  I don't think it should make any difference, but then I don't think this should be happening at all, so I'd appreciate it if you could narrow it down by that slight bit.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #57
Does it also occur if you take out the panel version and install the non-panel version?

Yes, it does. 

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #58
Just out of curiosity, what exactly are the differences between projectM and Milkdrop? projectM isn't just something using the now open-source Milkdrop code, right? It's technically something different?

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #59
projectM is completely separate - it was originally written for use with XMMS in Linux and hence uses OpenGL instead of DirectX internally.  It's been around for a good deal longer than the public release of the Milkdrop source.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #60
projectM is completely separate - it was originally written for use with XMMS in Linux and hence uses OpenGL instead of DirectX internally.  It's been around for a good deal longer than the public release of the Milkdrop source.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=306661"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I see. I knew it was separate, but wasn't sure of the specifics.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #61
i just tried this out today. im using both the panel and the window version for full screen. this is pretty great. a screen saver for it would be sweet and might be very easy to implement if its just a matter of passing a keystroke.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #62
yea im sorry not tryin to pester ya i just telling what think could possably make it better like input but keep up the alsome work ill be watching thi post heheh

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #63
yea im sorry not tryin to pester ya i just telling what think could possably make it better like input but keep up the alsome work ill be watching thi post heheh
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=306790"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hasn't got really its place here but well, for american people, the grammatical efforts are not here. If it's easy to understand the limited abilities to write in english for people speaking another language, it's quite unbearable from an english spoking person to write like this. If we try to avoid mistakes, an effort should be done from people knowing the language but using slang/abbreviations etc.. as it is very hard to read for others. thanks.

Anyway, I'm following this post intensly and I will test projectM as soon as people say that it is fully operating, when the major steps are done.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #64
Maybe, in some hopefully not too distant future, you might even think about implementing one feature I've always missed with milkdrop/projectM: The ability to delete presets from within the vis... Or better yet, move them to an "unwanted" folder or something. I always hated handling hundreds of presets, of which I'd find at least 75% to be quite boring.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=306363"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Interesting idea.  Not sure what the best way to deal with the possibility of accidentally marking a preset as unwanted would be, though.

That would be were the "unwanted" folder would come in: It would be kind of a recycling bin for the deleted presets. Maybe there would have to be a switch toggling between the normal presets, and the ones in the bin. That way, you could browse through the unwanted/"deleted" presets if you've been too trigger-happy.

It's there and it isn't.  If you press F3, it'll bring up a preset display.  However, key handling doesn't work in the panel version and I don't know why.  After I get the current round of crash fixes done, I'll go back to trying to fix that.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=306374"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Brilliant!

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #65
New build up.  Little is different in this version other than that there's a context menu now, delayed flush should be un-broken, and anyone with floating-point exceptions turned on will notice significantly fewer divide by zero errors, though some overflow will still occur with certain presets.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #66
I have just installed v0.97.5 (including presets and msvcr71.dll) and it doesn't want to change presets. i have pointed to the fonts and presets folders in the config

All i get is two red horizontal bars also the song titles, track length and frame rate (from the right click menu) don't display either in full screen or windowed.

when i try to change the preset via the right click menu i get this in the console
Code: [Select]
WARNING (foo_vis_projectm) : Preset weirdness; going to idle preset

the previous version did work for me, but when i tried to revert back to it, i get the same weirdness.

I have no problems with Baconwrap and milkdrop

Any ideas ?

-Whoops-

Winxp (sp2)
Directx 9.0c
5.6 Catalysts
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #67
From what you're describing, projectM isn't loading your preset and font directories.  Double-check that they're correct - I haven't seen this happen before and I can't think of anything that I changed between these two versions that would cause such behavior.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #68
From what you're describing, projectM isn't loading your preset and font directories.  Double-check that they're correct - I haven't seen this happen before and I can't think of anything that I changed between these two versions that would cause such behavior.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=307151"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hmmm, i finally got it working, i set both the fonts and presets directory locations to incorrect ones, ran projectM and then reselected the directories i had in there before.

is the font used for the artist - title meant to look like it's desolved (e.g. not a solid font) ?
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #69
Great plugin, but I'm a little confused as to how one changes presets.  Is there a way to see the list of available presets and choose between them, other than right clicking on "Move to Next" and closing Foobar beforehand?  :-/

Am also getting a bug when I try to edit the preferences.  My console will pop up with this error:

ERROR (foo_vis_projectm) : No suitable display modes found for that device.

Am I doing something wrong?  :-/

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #70
is the font used for the artist - title meant to look like it's desolved (e.g. not a solid font) ?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=307164"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Apparently.  That's one of the things that I was planning on changing if I worked a different font library in.

Great plugin, but I'm a little confused as to how one changes presets.  Is there a way to see the list of available presets and choose between them, other than right clicking on "Move to Next" and closing Foobar beforehand?  :-/
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=307166"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Unfortunately, no.  It looks like there's some code in projectM for a preset selector, but since there isn't any way to bring it up in the default key handler, I'm not sure if it works or not.  Also, the current preset isn't memorized on shutdown, so closing foobar isn't going to do any good there.
Am also getting a bug when I try to edit the preferences.  My console will pop up with this error:

ERROR (foo_vis_projectm) : No suitable display modes found for that device.

Am I doing something wrong?  :-/
It isn't finding a mode that it likes for your display.  I'm guessing that color depth is the problem - I set projectM up to only use 32-bit color modes for the fullscreen displays since that's what the other projectM plugins do and I just haven't gotten around to doing much with other values.  I'll probably have an edited build that allows for the use of 16-bit color modes tomorrow and that should hopefully fix things for you.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #71
Note: Expect stuff to be broken. I still don't know what I'm doing.
Well you get well along without knowing a thing you're doing. Keep up the great work
i love it
Inter Deum et Diabolum semper Musica est", Tanzwut

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #72
New build up.  Little is different in this version other than that there's a context menu now, delayed flush should be un-broken, and anyone with floating-point exceptions turned on will notice significantly fewer divide by zero errors, though some overflow will still occur with certain presets.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=307124"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi,
The addition of the context menu is a good thing. Would it be possible to not pause the animation when the context menu is displayed ?

The context menu is great  especially for the panel version because now we can go into fullscreen. I have a problem though because when i want to exit fullscreen i got an error in the console and Project M won't work until i close and restart foobar.
ERROR (foo_uie_vis_projectm): Couldn't set proper pixel format.
ERROR (foo_uie_vis_projectm): Unable to go fullscreen

Also in the panel version , in fullscreen , the context menu is not always displayed each time i right-click ( it works fine in the window version )
ie:
- 1st right-click > the animation stops , but no context menu displayed
- 2nd right-click > the animation restarts , the context menu appears , but the mouse  disappers
- 3rd right-click > the animation stops , but no context menu displayed and the mouse comes back
etc for about 10 times and then finally it behave like the window version ( animation stops , the context menu and the mouse are both displayed )

it s not always the same pattern. Sometimes it's:
- 2nd right-click > the animation restarts then stops after half a second, but no context menu displayed
- 3rd right-click > the animation restarts then stops after half a second, but no context menu displayed
- 4th right-click > the animation restarts , the context menu appears , but the mouse  disappers

It seems very random.

I hope i m not discouraging you with all of this 

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #73
I can vouch for Hamallainen, termination of fullscreen mode with panel version results in static gray box until manual restart of foobar.  Nice plug though.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #74
The addition of the context menu is a good thing. Would it be possible to not pause the animation when the context menu is displayed ?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=307222"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If I don't pause it, then the menu has to be redrawn every frame, which I don't like and could lead to flickering or general slowness with a complicated preset on older machines (like mine).

The context menu is great  especially for the panel version because now we can go into fullscreen. I have a problem though because when i want to exit fullscreen i got an error in the console and Project M won't work until i close and restart foobar.
ERROR (foo_uie_vis_projectm): Couldn't set proper pixel format.
ERROR (foo_uie_vis_projectm): Unable to go fullscreen
I can't get the pixel format issue to happen on my machine, but then I made a change in a related portion of the code last night that might have fixed this.  We'll see with the next release.  Also, closing and re-opening the projectM panel should re-initialize it completely.  Is this not working for you?

Also in the panel version , in fullscreen , the context menu is not always displayed each time i right-click ( it works fine in the window version )
ie:
- 2nd right-click > the animation restarts , the context menu appears , but the mouse  disappers
- 3rd right-click > the animation stops , but no context menu displayed and the mouse comes back
etc for about 10 times and then finally it behave like the window version ( animation stops , the context menu and the mouse are both displayed )
Something like this confirmed on another machine I have access to (Radeon 9200, Windows 2000).  Unfortunately, it doesn't happen on my computer (GeForce2, Windows XP w/ SP2), which is where Visual Studio is.  I'll try making some random changes and running builds between the computers until I figure out what's going on.