Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How do I write SoundCheck tags with fb 1.3.11 (Read 4940 times) previous topic - next topic

How do I write SoundCheck tags with fb 1.3.11

Pardon my ignorance, but I can't find out how to write SoundCheck tags with the latest beta.
Does this happen in the converter?
Thought it would perfectly sit in the ReplayGain sub menu...

Re: How do I write SoundCheck tags with fb 1.3.11

Reply #1
Thought it would perfectly sit in the ReplayGain sub menu...

Preferences: Display -> Context Menu -> ReplayGain
Activate Copy track/album ReplayGain to SoundCheck

Select files, right-click, ReplayGain ...

(or just select files, press Shift, right-click, ReplayGain ...)

Reply #2
Thanks Pete for sharing this.

Does anyone know how these SoundCheck values are computed?
After copying album RG to SC, they don't seem to match at all..

Reply #3
It's calculated with the normal ReplayGain scanner. Apple's Sound Check target level is -16 LUFS and ReplayGain's is -18 LUFS so the value written to the Sound Check field is increased by 2 dB.

Reply #4
Thanks, this makes sense.
Just curious: Any idea how the actual RG values are used to calculate/generate a SoundCheck tag like
Code: [Select]
ITUNNORM =  00000943 00000943 00001728 00001728 00024CA8 00024CA8 00007AAD 00007AAD 00024CA8 00024CA8
as shown in mp3tag?

Reply #5
Or how do we show Soundcheck info in foobar? I don't see anything when creating custom %COMMENT ITUNNORM% for ALAC or %ITUNNORM% for MP3

Reply #6
Any idea how the actual RG values are used to calculate/generate a SoundCheck tag like
Code: [Select]
ITUNNORM =  00000943 00000943 00001728 00001728 00024CA8 00024CA8 00007AAD 00007AAD 00024CA8 00024CA8
as shown in mp3tag?
The syntax is not officially documented. What foobar2000 does is based on the findings of others, like this.
Or how do we show Soundcheck info in foobar?
When you view properties of such file you should see <APPLE SOUNDCHECK GAIN> in technical information. That means you can access this info with $info(apple soundcheck gain).

Reply #7
Just wanted to say that I am really enjoying these new SoundCheck tag features. Now I don't have to use Mp3tag for those operations. Very convenient!

Reply #8
I'm having a strange situation with 1.3.13 today. I converted some FLACs to ALAC this morning, and fb2k correctly wrote the SoundCheck information in the ALACs. iTunes showed the matching SoundCheck values.

A couple hours later, I created some more ALACs and AACs, and for these new files iTunes is not showing the SoundCheck numbers written by fb2k.

For example, in the properties, fb2k shows "<APPLE SOUNDCHECK GAIN> : +0.56 dB", but iTunes shows "Volume: -1.0 db", as though iTunes is reverting back to the SoundCheck values it would natively produce.

Quitting/restarting fb2k and iTunes doesn't seem to help. Has anyone else seen this feature stop working for no apparent reason?

Reply #9
read/write soundcheck tags in Foobar..Awesome thanks!

Reply #10
Hi
How do I get Foobar to *also* write iTunes soundcheck tags when I do Replaygain scanning/tagging?

thanks

Reply #11
It happens automatically when you write ReplayGain tags to either MP3 or MP4 files, but not by default. You may turn it on, if you wish.

Reply #12
It happens automatically when you write ReplayGain tags to either MP3 or MP4 files.

so if my library is entirely FLAC, and I do ReplayGain, and subsequently in the future I convert some files to ALAC or M4A for use with iPhone or iTunes, what's the best way to get iTunes Norm tags onto the destination files?

Reply #13
Please re-read my (corrected) post.