Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Looking for a sound recorder controlled by command line (Read 2964 times) previous topic - next topic

Looking for a sound recorder controlled by command line

Hi, thanks a lot for reoporting your experience and suggestions!

I'm looking for a Win32 (or 64) recorder, with these features:
1) Support line command, like pogram.exe /record , and program.exe /stop
2) show in tray the recording or stop
3) save file with date:time format as name

Do you know any software that suites that?

Would be nice to see also:
Vu-meter in tray, showing clip
adjust automatically the record volume base on average volume.
Save directly in .aac format

Thank you a lot!

Re: Looking for a sound recorder controlled by command line

Reply #1
sox (can be specifically invoked as 'rec') or ffmpeg (supports AAC) can both do this but it'd be better to write a little wrapper script to save specifying your soundcards input device, and expanding a variable to write the file as "DATE_TIME.aac" each time you want to record... Not sure how easy it is to put an icon in the tray on Windows, but the command window in which it was run shows what's going on (or just your usual prompt when stopped).  The built in ASCII meter in sox is nice, but AAC support might be trickier.

Reply #2
Thank you a lot for kind reply!
The reason why I want vu meter in tray is that I've a full screen panel with buttons, and only windows taskbar is visible (no other windows can be displayed)

Reply #3
Was reminded of fmedia, it has a minimize to tray setting and both GUI/CLI support for recording, though from the OP it sounds like you'd like to control a GUI via command line arguments. Haven't yet used it myself but was linked to it here a few months ago. Unsure whether it includes a date/time variable with its title formatting.

Reply #4
thank you! it looks a solution, I wrote the author for some requests :)

Reply #5
thank you Coreda, the program looks good! I wrote author if he can introduce a way to stop recording by command line.
For Vu meter, tray icon and automatic gain control I'm trying to use different programs