Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: News validation (Read 5674 times) previous topic - next topic

News validation

Sorry to a) hijack this thread, and B) whinge on - but:

I recently posted a news item about a new addition to dBpowerAMP of a codec (wavpack) which I had spent 2 weeks writing, this was deemed not to be news by a moderator (who has not owned up) and moved off to a sub forum. Yet this is news when a) it is a commercial product  B) it is an update to an already existing codec.

I would like to see firm guide lines, please.

News validation

Reply #1

I recently posted a news item about a new addition to dBpowerAMP of a codec (wavpack) which I had spent 2 weeks writing, this was deemed not to be news by a moderator (who has not owned up) and moved off to a sub forum. Yet this is news when a) it is a commercial product  B) it is an update to an already existing codec.

Seems unfair however Cool Edit although commercial is unique & a new release of FhG's high quality mp3 encoder is pretty big news.

News validation

Reply #2

I guess that is pretty much impossible. News is handled on a first come first care basis, and whether or not your post gets accepted, deleted or moved depends on what moderator looked at it and what state of mind he was in.

IMHO a new FhG codec is bigger news than added support for WavPack to dBpowerAMP. But this is a personal issue, and another moderator would handle this differently.

I don't get the point about it being a commercial product either. If it's good, what is the problem to pay money for it?

News validation

Reply #3

Well.. The big difference here was that the wavpack codec was not anything new. You integrated it to work with dBpowerAMP, but there is nothing very clearly new there, it's the same exact codec.
The FhG codec in Cool Edit 2.1 is supposed to be new, thus it's a bit different thing.

True, your post could have been news too. It's just a bit controversial.. If there's a new software, would it be ok if there were news posts about every non-proprietary feature added to it? For example, there haven't been any news posts about single specific features of foobar2000.

I'm not sure if there can ever be absolute firm guide what will be on the front page, and what won't. I suggest you contact me or other staff privately if you think some decision was not satisfactory. Since we try to keep our members happy, I'm sure we could have worked it out.. So, if you have a problem, act immediately. It's better than waiting few weeks and then publicly rant about it.
Juha Laaksonheimo

News validation

Reply #4
As far as I remember it was I who moved it.
I don't consider it news that a program adds support for another format.
I believe JohnV already clerified why it was moved quite alright.

News validation

Reply #5
Fair enough, as long as that is the rule and it is adherred to, so for anything codec related it would have to be: only updates to the codec its self and not implementations of the codec, so these shouldn't have been news:

Speeks FLAC front end:  http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/show.php/act/...t/ST/f/2/t/6032
Winamp Ogg Plugin: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/show.php/act/...t/ST/f/2/t/4054
Winamp Mp3Pro plugin: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/show.php/act/...t/ST/f/2/t/3696

I consider them all to be news.

News validation

Reply #6
Spoon ()wnt j00

Cos my post got lost...  Don't most people use the cool_lame plugin, I thought that was the best mp3 had to offer?..
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

News validation

Reply #7
Spoon ()wnt j00

Cos my post got lost...

It's in the original thread.

News validation

Reply #8
Fair enough, as long as that is the rule and it is adherred to, so for anything codec related it would have to be: only updates to the codec its self and not implementations of the codec, so these shouldn't have been news:

Speeks FLAC front end:  http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/show.php/act/...t/ST/f/2/t/6032
Winamp Ogg Plugin: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/show.php/act/...t/ST/f/2/t/4054
Winamp Mp3Pro plugin: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/show.php/act/...t/ST/f/2/t/3696

I consider them all to be news.

Hard rules are silly, things are not always clear cut.

Usage also matters, you won't like this, but WinAMP support for Ogg is important for a lot more people than WavPack support for dbPowerAMP, so it makes more sense to have it more visible as news.

News validation

Reply #9

Cos my post got lost...

It's in the original thread.

I'm blind..  but I thought it belonged here as I'm questioning the importance of a non-lame encoder in well.. anything
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

News validation

Reply #10
Usage also matters, you won't like this, but WinAMP support for Ogg is important for a lot more people than WavPack support for dbPowerAMP,

Quantify usage - 10,000 acceptable? 100,000? 1 Million? the current downloads of dBpowerAMP Music Converter currently stands at 3 million...

BTW I like to push Wavpack, it is under development (monkeys audio seems to have flatterned out) and is unique for its hybrid approch.

News validation

Reply #11
Usage also matters, you won't like this, but WinAMP support for Ogg is important for a lot more people than WavPack support for dbPowerAMP,

Quantify usage - 10,000 acceptable? 100,000? 1 Million? the current downloads of dBpowerAMP Music Converter currently stands at 3 million...

BTW I like to push Wavpack, it is under development (monkeys audio seems to have flatterned out) and is unique for its hybrid approch.

It seems that download.com stopped counting when winamp was downloaded 22,5 million times...for each new version... from download.com alone...

News validation

Reply #12
I was not disputing that Winamp, Cool Edit, Nero have a huge number of downloads - they are all well established all long before I started writing audio programs.

News validation

Reply #13
Quantifying based on number of users/downloads is quite silly. Either both are valid news or neither are. Don't play favorites! 

News validation

Reply #14
What we are trying to say is that it's hard to judge what's important to our visitors.
If we have too much news it gets overwhelming and important news drown in news submissions.
If you are not happy with our jugdement then fine. We're doing the best we can to get the most important news to the users. If you think we made a bad call then tell us. but don't bitch if we decide otherwise. We have to go by our judgement.

News validation

Reply #15
Quantifying based on number of users/downloads is quite silly. Either both are valid news or neither are. Don't play favorites! 

if you die, is it news? If Bush dies, is it news?

I have to second what Jan S said.

News validation

Reply #16
Even though I don't use dbPowerAMP, I don't consider the addition of WavPack support to be quite so trivial as it's being made out to be. That is a new feature, not just an update. 

Maybe there should be a topic specifically for software & related topics, with News being actual news/technologies or whatever and nothing about software updates. 

News validation

Reply #17

Judging is tricky, I was asked a few days ago by another mod if a new release of eMule should be approved, since he wasn't sure. I though it belonged in offtopic at best, since the use of eMule for legal music searching is limited, irrelevant of how many users eMule has. But things like that are very unclear.

If you told us these reasons then at least I would have been easily convinced to post it as news, we are not omniscient in knowing what is considered important and what not.

News validation

Reply #18
If you told us these reasons then at least I would have been easily convinced to post it as news

Thing was I posted it as news, so at the same time I have to email every moderator on HA with reasons to justify it?

News validation

Reply #19
Thing was I posted it as news, so at the same time I have to email every moderator on HA with reasons to justify it?

Look around on IRC, this helps because you can get it accepted immediately as well.