Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Multiple ID3v2 tags encountered (Read 16863 times) previous topic - next topic

Multiple ID3v2 tags encountered

Hi,

Can someone please explain what "Multiple ID3v2 tags encountered" means.  I'm running Foobar2000 v1.0.2.1 on Windows 7 and exclude all files except *.mp3 and *.flac.

Does it mean there are different ID3v1 tags to ID3v2 tags?

Is it possible for Foobar2000 to point to the file that is causing this error?

Thank you.

Reply #1
Select files - Right click - Utilities - Verify Integrity.

Does it mean there are different ID3v1 tags to ID3v2 tags?

IIRC no, this means that some buggy program added (second) ID3v2 tag before existing ID3v2 tag instead of replacing it.

Reply #2
This function can only detect the integrity, but can't fix it, I think what we need to do is select files - Right click - Utilities - Tagging - Mp3 tag types - un-select ID3v2 and update files.

Reply #3
This function can only detect the integrity, but can't fix it, I think what we need to do is select files - Right click - Utilities - Tagging - Mp3 tag types - un-select ID3v2 and update files.

But if I'm looking at the console message, "Multiple ID3v2 tags encountered", it doesn't point to a specific file. I've got 140,000 MP3/FLAC files, how do I know which ones have multiple ID3v2 tags? Is there a way to repair all tags?

It seems strange that I should have multiple ID3v2 tags in the first place. I only ever tag with Mp3tag (http://www.mp3tag.de/en/) and I re-tag all MP3/FLAC files.  Hmmm...

Reply #4

But if I'm looking at the console message, "Multiple ID3v2 tags encountered", it doesn't point to a specific file. I've got 140,000 MP3/FLAC files, how do I know which ones have multiple ID3v2 tags?

Well, what does the console say immediately before and after this message?
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #5

But if I'm looking at the console message, "Multiple ID3v2 tags encountered", it doesn't point to a specific file. I've got 140,000 MP3/FLAC files, how do I know which ones have multiple ID3v2 tags?

Well, what does the console say immediately before and after this message?

Watching: \\server\music
Album List refreshed in: 0:06.797370
Startup time : 0:18.874828
etc.

(I.E. it doesn't say anything before or after that would indicate which file the error is referring to.)

Reply #6
I've seen this happen, too. If there is a better way at identifying the "faulty" files, I'd be interested in the solution as well.

Reply #7
[font= "Courier New"]C:\>( for /r "C:\Music" %f in (*.mp3) do @id3test -s "%f" ) | find ": Multiple ID3 tags "[/font]
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #8
That is a batch script?

Reply #9
Yes, that's what I was trying hint by starting it with the characteristic prompt [font= "Courier New"]C:\>[/font]

Reply #10
C:\>( for /r "C:\Music" %f in (*.mp3) do @id3test -s "%f" ) | find ": Multiple ID3 tags "

Sorry that doesn't make much sense to me.

If that is a batch script as you say below, and I guess you're testing each .mp3 file against an application at yirkha.fud.cz: isn't this going to take an extraordinarily long time to test my 140,000 files?  Shouldn't Foobar2000 just be printing the filename that is returning the error??

Reply #11
Of course you are supposed to download the id3test program and run it on your own machine.
Anyway, I can't give you a new build of fb2k which prints the filename but I can give you another solution which works now. If you don't like it, fine.

Reply #12
@thegesus
If you add a " > someoutput.file" to the end of it, it will save the paths of the files it discovers in a plaintext file for you. Almost as good.

Unfortunately for me, it totally fails with file and folder names that have Unicode characters. Still, it gives a place to start.

Reply #13
@Yirkha/Zarggg: Sorry I am missing something. Is this something you run through Foobar itself? Could you please provide just a little bit more information as to how I can get a list of all the files in my library that are returning this error? (a text file is great).

Thanks.

Reply #14
Oh noes, getting Unicode to work for console stuff is such a pain...
Also here are some more detailed usage instructions.

1. Create a folder - for example "id3test" on your desktop.
2. Download the new updated version of the id3test program there.
3. Start Command prompt.
4. Go to the folder above (e.g. "cd %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\id3test")
5a. Type "[font= "Courier New"]id3test C:\Music[/font]" to scan for all MP3 files under C:\Music and print a lot of information about them.
5b. Type "[font= "Courier New"]id3test -s C:\Music[/font]" to scan for all MP3 files under C:\Music and print only how many ID3 tags are in them.
5c. Type "[font= "Courier New"]id3test -s C:\Music | find ": Multiple ID3 tags"[/font]" to scan for all MP3 files under C:\Music and print only information about those which have multiple ID3 tags.
5d. Type "[font= "Courier New"]id3test -s C:\Music | find ": Multiple ID3 tags" > output.txt[/font]" to scan for all MP3 files under C:\Music and write only information those which have multiple ID3 tags to the output.txt file.

Note: Displaying extended characters in a console window only if the current font is a fixed-pitch Unicode font (e.g. "Lucida Console"). It does not work with the console font named "Raster Font".

Reply #15
I wasn't saying it was impossible, Yirkha.  TBH, I didn't have much time to work on it at the time I posted. So mea culpa on that. It's still a useful little app.

Reply #16
cool!
i had noticed some files generating the multi tag message a couple months ago (other thread)

this id3test is smokin' fast.  it ripped through 15K in a couple minutes.

still would be nice if the console error spit back the path of the files, but this is a very sweet workaround.

Reply #17
For future notice, if the command line scares anyone, foo_verifier can do the same sort of reporting. Although, I doubt it is as fast since it does a number of other checks as well.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #18
You can remove it re-taging (erase all tags and write it again), I did it to hundreds of files at once without any problem but do a backup first. Just throw the files to the playlist, select all and right click/properties, select all tags and copy, tools/remove tags... apply, select all again... paste all tags and apply.

Reply #19
I wasn't saying it was impossible, Yirkha.  TBH, I didn't have much time to work on it at the time I posted. So mea culpa on that. It's still a useful little app.
Nah, I spent some time trying to make the first version work properly and failed, so no wonder it didn't work for you too
I had to add recursive folder enumeration to the program itself and custom output function to spit out Unicode, that's the pain.

Reply #20
Well, either way, it helped me eliminate the multiple tags issue. So, thank you!

Reply #22
Also here are some more detailed usage instructions.
(...)
Great instructions. Thank you!

Edit: (Sorry I don't know how to edit my original post)

For those that want to correct their tags, once you have produced the output file "output.txt" simply open that file and replace the text ": Multiple ID3 tags (2)" with nothing (ctrl+h in notepad) and then save the file as .m3u.

You can then open that .m3u file with most Mp3 tagging programs, including my personal favourite, mp3tag - http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ - to correct the entire batch at once.

Reply #23
I just decided to go through my collection and start fixing this exact issue. Using the above, I am able to find and create a list of files that I need to "fix". What I did was un-select ID3v1 and ID3v2, select APEv2, and then update. Then I would un-select APEv2 and select ID3v2 and ID3v1. I tested this on a small subset of files and it seems to work just fine. Will I run into any trouble with this approach? Will any tags (except the extra ID3v2) be lost?

Reply #24
you'll definitely lose embedded album art. don't know of other things.
fb2k on OSX: flac q8 > rockboxed Sansa e280v1: Vorbis q5.0