Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "AOL pulls Nullsoft file-sharing software" (Read 5225 times) previous topic - next topic

"AOL pulls Nullsoft file-sharing software"

It is called "Waste". Read the article here
"Jazz washes away the dust of everyday life" (Art Blakey)

Reply #1
First Gnutella, then this! Why hasn't the RIAA assassinated Justin Frankel yet?

Edit: Er, nutella's sure tasty.... 

Reply #2
If you want secure communication - use Jabber. If you want secure file sharing... hmm...
You can use Filetopia, but too  few users use it. There will be filetransfer in Jabber, I`m w8ing 4 it.

Reply #3
Already set up Waste here. Seems to work sweetly.

Maybe I'll start sharing my huge audio appz collection.

Reply #4
Find a copy here or give me a PM.

Reply #5
http://www.1014.org/ ... Justin Frankel, Winamp and Waste developer

Reply #6
Mirror of original Waste HP
Another download mirror

Legality shouldn't be much of a problem, since it is GPLed.

dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #7
To quote this page http://www.nullsoft.com/free/waste/ :

NOTICE OF UNAUTHORIZED SOFTWARE

An unauthorized copy of Nullsoft's copyrighted software was briefly posted on this website on or about Wednesday May 28, 2003. The software was identified as "WASTE" (the "Software") and includes the files "waste-setup.exe", "waste-source.zip", "waste-source.tar.gz" and any additional files contained in these files.

Nullsoft is the exclusive owner of all right, title and interest in the Software. The posting of the Software on this website was not authorized by Nullsoft.

If you downloaded or otherwise obtained a copy of the Software, you acquired no lawful rights to the Software and must destroy any and all copies of the Software, including by deleting it from your computer. Any license that you may believe you acquired with the Software is void, revoked and terminated.

Any reproduction, distribution, display or other use of the Software by you is unauthorized and an infringement of Nullsoft's copyright in the Software as well as a potential violation of other laws.

Thank you.

Nullsoft

Trying to retract GPL released code, could get very messy...

Reply #8
Already set up Waste here. Seems to work sweetly.

Maybe I'll start sharing my huge audio appz collection.

Rjamorim,
you aren't going to share warez are you?

Get latest AAC, MPEG4 and more binaries at RareWares:

Reply #9
Hmm... I'm not sure if Nullsoft/AOL is right here. In the end *I* do have the software, which is licensed under the terms of the GPL and am therefore free to do (almost) everything I want with it (modify/redistribute).
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #10
I can give you a copy of Photoshop (or any other program), with a GPL license attached. That doesn't make it GPL.

Reply #11
I can give you a copy of Photoshop (or any other program), with a GPL license attached. That doesn't make it GPL.

Right, because you don't have the copyright of Photoshop, so you can't decide what license should it use.

But it's pretty probable a copyright holder (Justin) uploaded the sources to the nullsoft server. And he used the GPL.

Besides, the GPL has no termination clause, so nullsoft can't revoke the license.

Unless they somehow proof somebody (without copyright of the sources) stoled the code, slapped GPL on it and hacked into nullsoft's server to upload it. Heh.

Reply #12

Yes, because you aren't authorized to act as an agent of Adobe.  Justin, on the other hand, has a track record of acting as an agent of Nullsoft -- he's released many pieces of software for them in the past, some under the GPL (see www.nullsoft.com).  This release appears to have been done in a similar manner to standard Nullsoft release practice, so it should be considered a valid official release by Nullsoft.  Justin may have overstepped his authority in releasing it, but that's an internal Nullsoft matter to deal with, not our problem -- just like if a car salesman sells you a car for less than his manager authorized him to, they still can't take the car back.

Reply #13
Speaking without any knowledge of law I would guess the legality of this "Waste" issue is a moot point.  The genie is out of the bottle, again.  With they crypto keys and all, it will be a while before AOL, RIAA or anyone outside of the government can crack this puppy.  Anarchy rules.    B)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Reply #14
Money, politics and legalities aside, I agree with rjamorim about the software.  It's an awesome, simple server/client/router program.  The best features is it's ability to route traffic through firewalls and is standalone (no third party servers are needed).  I'm able to connect private NAT networks located inside firewalls in different states.  Hopefully, the concepts will proliferate in another piece of software (maybe open source).