Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: weird hang problem (Read 6310 times) previous topic - next topic

weird hang problem

Problem:

When closing foobar (since 0.666) it sometimes hangs.

What happens, is the foobar window etc. disappears, but the foo_wsgui is still there, but frozen.

Looking in Task Manager show dtwtsn32 runs when it freezes - and it makes an entry in its log (I dont get notified about any crash etc.).

I can't get it too happen without foo_wsgui.dll in the folder so Im posting in this forum..

The log says Exception number: 80000007 which I have never seen before and I dont know what that means.

Also, if I try to shutdown windows at the same time I get informed that "uninteresting" is not responding (and windows is waiting for it)..

I have the drwtsn32 log if it of any help.. It severely annoying as foobar takes ages to close.

weird hang problem

Reply #1

What happens, is the foobar window etc. disappears, but the foo_wsgui is still there, but frozen.

Silly question, but have you tried deleting foo_wsgui.dll from the Foobar directory and seeing if that has any affect on your problem?

weird hang problem

Reply #2
I haven't rebuilt foo_wsgui againsts the 0.666 SDK yet.  Perhaps that is the problem.  I'm trying out .666 right now myself to see if I can recreate the problem.  I'll update to .666 for the next release of the component.

weird hang problem

Reply #3

Silly question, but have you tried deleting foo_wsgui.dll from the Foobar directory and seeing if that has any affect on your problem?

Yes Aero. If I run foobar for ~20 mins with foo_wsgui, it will definitely hang on exit. If I dont have it in there, it doesnt hang, I've taken it out of the folder for a day or two, with no problems, and so Im fairly sure.

DanZ: Maybe so. Its wierd that it just started happening with 0.666. I know it wasn't happening with 0.666 beta 2 (well im pretty sure, but i wasnt generally using the betas), first time I saw it was in beta 7, i never had any beta in between though..

Its still happenning in 0.667, I just tried, it happened on first attempt

weird hang problem

Reply #4

Yes Aero. If I run foobar for ~20 mins with foo_wsgui, it will definitely hang on exit. If I dont have it in there, it doesnt hang, I've taken it out of the folder for a day or two, with no problems, and so Im fairly sure.

DanZ: Maybe so. Its wierd that it just started happening with 0.666. I know it wasn't happening with 0.666 beta 2 (well im pretty sure, but i wasnt generally using the betas), first time I saw it was in beta 7, i never had any beta in between though..

Its still happenning in 0.667, I just tried, it happened on first attempt 

foo_wsgui doesn't do much on exit besides destroy the window and free up some memory.  I'm not sure what could "hang".  What other plugins do you use (maybe you could post a list of all components you are using and versions).

I have some other testers that are using .666 (and I've used it to) and they aren't reporting any problems.  Also, does it matter at all which look you have loaded???

weird hang problem

Reply #5
Danz:

I am fairly sure it only hangs because of drwtsn32, probably whilst it gathers info etc. So if drwtsn32 isnt default debugger, maybe you won't get the hang.

Whilst trying to track it down on my normal install just now, instead of being nice and just logging to drwtsn32 log, the whole screen went black computer sounded like it turned off (fans went dead) and then it restarted.. It wasnt very nice so I dont feel like messing about with it..

It is fairly harder to reproduce on a clean install, but I have managed to do it. Would the drwtsn32 log be of any use?

edit: damn it corruptted my config

weird hang problem

Reply #6
It is fairly harder to reproduce on a clean install, but I have managed to do it. Would the drwtsn32 log be of any use?

I don't know - you can post it or PM it to me and I'll take a look.

weird hang problem

Reply #7
Ok log is up here:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/musicf/log/drwtsnclean.log

Oh and by the way, that other thing was a power cut it seems  (more like power interruption, it was fairly wierd..)

edit: this was foo_wsgui.dll 0.27, foobar 0.667 (clean), and windows xp sp1, default foo_wsgui skin.

weird hang problem

Reply #8
I couldn't make much out from the Dr. Watson log.

V0.28 foo_wsgui

is compiled against the .666 SDK.

See if there is any improvement.

weird hang problem

Reply #9
Nope, sadly still same issue ..

weird hang problem

Reply #10
Dont mean to bewilder you, danZ, but the error the msvc6 debugger reports is:

First-chance exception in foobar2000.exe (MSCTF.DLL): 0xC0000005: Access Violation.

And as far as I can tell, msctf.dll is related to IME stuff ??

weird hang problem

Reply #11
Dont mean to bewilder you, danZ, but the error the msvc6 debugger reports is:

First-chance exception in foobar2000.exe (MSCTF.DLL): 0xC0000005: Access Violation.

And as far as I can tell, msctf.dll is related to IME stuff ??

What is IME?  I don't think that comes from WSGUI.

But on another note.  In working with CuriOus_George to integrate playlist find in to wsgui I learned that I was doing some things that weren't needed (creating a message thread and calling foobar methods from that thread).  It is possible that the wsgui thread clean up when exiting foobar is part of the problem you are seeing.  So there is hope at least that the next version, which has no threading, will fix this issue.

I'll try to have a version for you to try in a day or two.

weird hang problem

Reply #12
IME = Input Method editor, something about inputting Japanese characters etc. into edit boxes with keyboard.

I got that from res hacking the dll, Im not paticularly sure though. I have no idea why its crashing there, I dont use IME at all.. 

A quick search on google reveals its related to all language stuff. I also have speech tools from Office XP and messed about with a number of language settings, maybe somehow related ?? There was one page about an IE crash in msctf.dll, with removing speech recognition as the solution..

Oh and I await the new version!

Thanks.

weird hang problem

Reply #13
Good news danZ! That msctf crap made me think and I think I have fixed it !

I had previously enabled the option below and forgot about it. Ive disabled it now and everything seems ok. Im not 100% sure yet, but it seems to have fixed it !

Compatibility Configuration
Extend support of advanced text services to all programs
Select this check box to turn on advanced text services in Notepad and other programs that do not normally support speech and handwriting recognition or other advanced input services.

So somehow this option is incompatible with foo_wsgui it seems. Should have known better enabling it in the first place..

Thanks for all the help danZ !!

weird hang problem

Reply #14
Good news danZ! That msctf crap made me think and I think I have fixed it !

I had previously enabled the option below and forgot about it. Ive disabled it now and everything seems ok. Im not 100% sure yet, but it seems to have fixed it !

Compatibility Configuration
Extend support of advanced text services to all programs
Select this check box to turn on advanced text services in Notepad and other programs that do not normally support speech and handwriting recognition or other advanced input services.

So somehow this option is incompatible with foo_wsgui it seems. Should have known better enabling it in the first place..

Thanks for all the help danZ !!

These features are part of the MS Speech SDK?  Regardless, glad it is not an issue any longer.

weird hang problem

Reply #15
Well I would have thought that option (Its only one option, that quote is title+checkbox+description) is there when you install XP, but it talks about speech recognition which (I believe) doesnt come with XP.

Anyway, its not specific to speech stuff, all the "advanced text input services" as MS puts it..

Its not like I need them in all other programs anyway..

thanks for the help.. I still find it wierd it just came up with 0.666 + wsgui but Im not going to question it.

I wonder if dr watson was silently logging it on purpose ? Seems possible, if MS knew it would result in shit like this..

weird hang problem

Reply #16
i have the same problem.
foobar hangs on exit, stays in process list and won't start anymore until you end up it (foobar2000.exe).

i have "Extend support of advanced text services to all programs" (mentioned above) not checked.

any suggestions?
v8.0.3