Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [ToS #6] Just a simple Lyricsv3 display? (Read 2598 times) previous topic - next topic

[ToS #6] Just a simple Lyricsv3 display?

Hello!

I've tried to make f2k display mp3 embedded lyrics (Lyricsv3 tag). Just a simple panel with text and scrollbar(s). Font configuration would be welcome. That's it.
Now I've tried of course a few lyrics plugins, but to no success- either download hosts are down, or they do not run with the new f2k, or (foo_uie_lyrics2) they do not allow scrolling lyrics with mouse (or however else I've tried) and don't react to font formatting settings. Plus no scrollbars to take a look at a song's end.

Is there any way to display what I want? Maybe just some decent metadata displaying plugin?

TIA

Reply #1
Tags are read and serviced by the fb2k core and Lyricsv3 tags are not read. A display component can do nothing to fix this; this would require a new input component that provided a service for reading that tag type.

And I don't think (but I'm not certain) that input components of core-supported formats (like mp3) are even possible.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #2
I'd change the topic, but neither I can find an option to do that nor ToS link provides any information.

Re subject matter. That is strange. Why not read all tags? It's just another piece of text.
The more I explore f2k, the more I see how it is incomplete in pretty basic areas. Yes I've read the FAQ, and I use another player all the time.

Reply #3
I'd change the topic, but neither I can find an option to do that nor ToS link provides any information.

It was already changed for you.

Re subject matter. That is strange. Why not read all tags? It's just another piece of text.
It is not. Lyrics3 tags are yet another tagging "standard" that are appended to the mp3 format. The mp3 specification itself does not specify a standard way to store metadata like just about any other format (or container) does. So various "pseudo-standards" (e.g. id3 or APEv2 or lyrics3) are appended to the audio data and in hope that these pseudo-standards will be popular enough that other applications will be able to read them. I can tell you that  probably only 1 out of every 10,000 people who use mp3 even know what a lyrics3 tag is, let alone having ever encountered or had reason to use one.

The more I explore f2k, the more I see how it is incomplete in pretty basic areas. Yes I've read the FAQ, and I use another player all the time.
lyrics3 tags were developed because id3v1 and id3v1.1 had a limited character count and couldn't hold lyrics. id3v2 pretty much solved this problem and lyrics3 has pretty much been obsolete since that time 12 years ago.

Not supporting an old, obsolete, pseudo-standard that was never very popular to begin with is hardly a "pretty basic area."
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #4
I am not that into tagging formats, so what you write is most probably true.

As mass converting is no problem today, my question holds:
Is there a way to display what I'd like and how I like (just a scrollable panel with static text) with id3v2 tags?

Reply #5
if you are comfortable in CLI, tag can output lyrics3 v2 tag for your additional batch processing

non batch limited with lyredit (standalone editor and Winamp plugin)

Reply #6
I just made one track with lyrics3 tag, and foobar can present it with Biography view panel and help from tag.exe:

1. add new command to "Run external script" in Biography view preferences:

Code: [Select]
<path to tag.exe folder>\tag --tostdoutn Lyrics "%path%"

2. and add "Run external script" as first source in Biography server source list:

BTW this setting will display also Lyrics in other tag schemes, not limited to Lyrics3

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021