Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: wvCompressor - new GUI for WavPack (Read 13185 times) previous topic - next topic

wvCompressor - new GUI for WavPack

Hi! I'd like to present you a little program that I wrote.

wvCompressor - current version: 0.1

[/li][/list]Please, tell me what do you think about this program and tell me about bugs you found. I will appreciate any feedback. If someone finds this program useful, I will start to make some improvements, based on your requests.
------------------------------------------------

FAQ
Q: What does this program do?
A: wvCompressor is a windows GUI for WavPack command-line encoder & decoder. The main use of this program is just forming the list of files to process with WavPack. wvCompressor automatically recognizes the extension of the input files and converts them .wav to .wv and .wv to .wav.

Q: Where are all the options of WavPack??
A: The main idea of wvCompressor is to be simple yet useful. The only option that you can handle with graphical controls is "-d" (delete source files on success). All other settings have to be entered into "Wavpack options" field. wvCompressor remembers the last settings string. Main principle with options is "Set & Forget".

Q: Why don't you make a standard GUI with all the settings and support for the hybrid mode of WavPack?
A: The main reason is simple. I don't need it now. I wrote this program for myself, and because I use WavPack mainly for archiving .wav files and recoding music from other formats, I wanted to have a program, that do all the work for me.

Q: What does this program need to work correctly?
A: Necessary minimum for wvCompressor are "wavpack.exe" and "wvunpack.exe" files in the program directory. Without these files it won't start. For extra options it needs programs "CheckWavpackFiles" and "auCDtect".

Q: What does "Verify compressed files by CheckWavpackFiles" and "Check decompressed files by auCDtect" checkboxes do?
A: CheckWavpackFiles (official thread here) and auCDtect are 2 very effective programs for any WavPack user. The first checks the .wv file to be not corrupted, and the second predicts the source of .wav file*. After processing file, if the corresponding option was enabled, GUI launches these programs with the compressed/decompressed files as input. You won't see the auCDtect console window, but after checking, it generates the log file that can be found at the wvCompressor directory. Log is incremental.

* auCDtect is often used on some musical sites to make certain that the lossless file was compressed from CD-quality wav file, and was not upconverted from any lossy format like mp3.

Reply #1
I've tried to download this a couple times to try it out, but all I get is a screen in Russian and no clue what to do next. What's the trick?

Reply #2
I'm very sorry, that was my mistake to choose that server.

I've reuploaded the program and archive to massmirror, so now there's some choice.

Reply #3
Neat, I'll try it out soon enough!

Reply #4
Why NORTON INTERNET SECURITY show me TROJAN HORSE?

Reply #5
Because it is something fishy.

People, do not download that software, check these links here, I've downloaded from the second link, Zip archive, and sent the wvcompressor to two sites for checking, here are the results:

http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/8eeba4e...e9ad-1273930193

http://virusscan.jotti.org/en/scanresult/8...d126c5dc2f6721d

Do not download this file, also, I am reporting the user to mods.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #6
It was a false positive.

Reply #7
Hi! I'd like to present you a little program that I wrote.

wvCompressor - current version: 0.1

Is't better not to use upack for compressing exe's cause many AV-tools give false positive alarms. If you want to keep exe packed, upx may be a better choice.