Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MPC Links (Read 4048 times) previous topic - next topic

MPC Links

Could someone point me to a website that discusses the benefits and qualities of MPC? I am getting ready to encode my CD library and I am trying to decide between MP3, Ogg, and FLAC. I figure that it can't hurt to consider MPC as well.

Thanks for your help!

MPC Links

Reply #1
Hello.

That's right, it can't! I did, and six months later I find myself living very happily with 300 albums in .mpc format.

When it comes to information about MPC Frank Klemm's site and original developer Andree Buschmann's dito are great sources for in-depth technical information. More general information and discussions of the format can of course be found at this site, for example in this recent thread, or this one.

Cheers,

Uosdwis

MPC Links

Reply #2
Thanks for your help!

Jeff

MPC Links

Reply #3
All I can say is, DO IT.  I was about to reencode my whole 900+ cd collection to MP3 again using the latest greatest commandlines but then read Dilbrom saying he used MPC.  Well, if the guy who created some of the best LAME commandline switches uses MPC instead of LAME with his switches, I figure there's a good reason for it.  So, I checked it out and now, roughly 550 cds later I'm happy as hell I switched over to MPC.  It's the best lossy compression format out there.  Still, check it out for yourself and see.

MPC Links

Reply #4
Thanks for everyone's help. By the way, is there support for MPC on non-Windows OSes?

Thanks again.

MPC Links

Reply #5
Originally posted by Agent69
Thanks for everyone's help. By the way, is there support for MPC on non-Windows OSes?

There are linux-x86-libc6-2.1 binaries of the encoder and binaries and sources for the decoder. There's also an XMMS plugin.

--
GCP