Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Running Foobar in Linux (Read 644724 times) previous topic - next topic

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #125
Thank you very much for these instructions!  The only problem I had with them is that for some reason the "uninstall" step would not work (it just did nothing, with no error message or anything).  Even without that step, everything seems to be working very well.  Thanks again (BTW - this should be in the Wiki!).

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #126
Very Nice Bro i Duel boot with Slackware this is a nice guide. I know I'm not to Linux savy but this seems easy to follow even for me. Thanks for taking the time.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #127
I am happy to report that the new 0.9.5 beta3 installer once again works under wine. No more need to use windows or a 3rd party extraction util to start with a basic install.

how do you recommend installing an update? In the op you recommend installing to the default location (~/.wine/drive_c/program files...) then cp the directory over to ~/.foobar

Is there any reason why you can't just select to install beta 3 overtop an existing ~/.foobar installation?

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #128
nbv4: There are many ways to make foobar and wine work together. I like to keep my foobar and wine installs independent so that if something goes wrong with one of them I can wipe it and reinstall without worrying much about the other and I wrote my tutorial accordingly.

You can leave your foobar installed at "C:\Program Files\foobar2000" aka "~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/foobar2000" and future upgrades will install much more smoothly. However you will need to rewrite your shell script to point to the appropriate directory and if anything ever happens to your ~/.wine/drive_c then your foobar will be.. well, fubar.  You might also want to consider moving foobar to ~/.foobar2000 and then linking the default directory with "ln -s ~/.foobar2000 ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/foobar2000"

To upgrade an existing install you can either tell the foobar installer to install to "z:\home\YOURUSERNAME\.foobar2000".. or what I prefer to do so that I can test the upgrade before comiting the changes, "cp -r ~/.foobar2000 ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/foobar2000" This way I can upgrade a copy of my foobar at the default windows location, test it out, then replace my existing install with "rm -rf ~/.foobar2000" and "cp -r ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/foobar2000 ~/.foobar2000".

If the wine uninstaller fails, you can just remove the foobar directory from your wine program files directory, then when you try to run the uninstaller wine should prompt you to remove it from the list of installed programs. Again, this isn't really necessary but I included in the tutorial in an attempt to keep a clean and tidy wine installation.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #129
I have some questions. When I use some Media Library components they don't create a new autoplaylist. Then I have a crash.
Unhandled Exception: I/O ERROR (Win32#66).

Can someone give me a hint?

I am using:
Kubuntu 7.10
Wine 0.9.46 as WinXP
Foobar 0.9.5 beta 1

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #130
Spirit_of_the_ocean: Can you be more specific about which "Media Library components" you are using to trigger the crash? I do not use autoplaylist but am willing to explore your problem.

Wine 0.9.48 is available, you may want to visit this page to find out how to include the official wine repositories. Also, foobar 0.9.5 beta 3 is available from this page. You may want to consider upgrading to see if increased compatibility helps with your problem.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #131
Okay. I have some problems with updating wine because there were versions without jack support.

Every time I wanted to add all the music it crashed.
I tried different components:
- facets in default ui
- in columns ui:
the new filter
libary filter
Album List
I think I only didn't try playlist tree.

I think I described the problem wrong. When I click an one item in the media library in these components there is the problem that library view Playlist isn't changing.

Facets worked good but I had the problem that is was shown not in the colors they should.
I will make some screenshots this evening.
Maybe some .dll are missing
I am thinking about make a vista config in wine. I am using only wine for Foobar I must addmit.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #132
I am able to use the default album list window, facets under the default ui, album list panel under columns ui, and a combination of filter panels in columns ui to populate playlists without a problem. My playlists are about 10k-15k songs and are handled without a problem.

Is your library path off of C:, Z:, or a network path? Have you tried using a smaller media library? Are there extended characters in the pathnames for your files? Have you tried making a spearate fresh clean install of the latest foobar beta and working from there?

NOTE: Simplified the install procedure to better accomodate upgrading. Also, I got ProjectM panel to work

I made some progress with foo_uie_queuemanager. I think the problem is with the .NET 2.0 dependency. Using information from this post at WineHQ I copied unicows.dll and mscoree.dll over and now atleast foobar doesnt crash with this component. However the component still refuses to load:
Failed to load DLL: foo_uie_queuemanager.dll
Reason: DLL init failed

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #133

Well I was messing around with Avant Window Navigator and discovered that as long as your foobar titlebar text changes with each song (filename, title, etc) and you have added the foobar launcher by dragging it from the gnome main menu... then every time foobar changes songs the icon will bounce and briefly display the name of the song (well, whatever text you have defined for your foobar titlebar). I rather like this behavior than any trackchange popup component I've seen.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #134
For all those who have still some stuttering or similar:
Try removing ALSA completly from the kernel (make everything regarding sound M) and install OSS4.

I had only problems with alsa.. and then i heard about oss.. tryed it and it worked just fine. without a single configuration line.

More info about OSS: http://4front-tech.com/hannublog/?p=5
Download: http://www.opensound.com/download.html

However, i have other problems:

1. UI_Colums prevents foobar from starting
it only says  fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"
but only after the second start. the first start works.. for some time.. but if i change the focus, it won't work anymore.. the GUI seems to crash (the music continues).

I just noticed, it works if i disallow the WM to handle the windows.. damn

2.Is there a way to get the global key bindings back?

--Ano

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #135
Some time ago I posted a test result of running 0.9.4.5 in Wine. I noticed the "fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"" error as well and installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) from this site, which removed a couple of those "fixme:" errors. Could you try that too?

Doesn't removing ALSA from the kernel need a new compilation of the kernel? In that case, it might be better to just install the latest kernel with CFS support, which fixed those errors as well according to one poster.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #136

Has anyone been able to install foobar v0.9.5 betas 7 or 8? 6 installed fine but whenever I try the newer betas I encounter the above error.

EDIT: I resolved this problem by changing my wine machine from Vista to XP.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #137
I have some questions. When I use some Media Library components they don't create a new autoplaylist. Then I have a crash.
Unhandled Exception: I/O ERROR (Win32#66).

Can someone give me a hint?

I am using:
Kubuntu 7.10
Wine 0.9.46 as WinXP
Foobar 0.9.5 beta 1

I can remember that I had that error in windows with the foobar beta so I think it's nothing to worry about.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #138
Thanks for the great guide. Has anyone had any luck getting drag and drop to work with this, or is that out of the question?

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #139
I have just installed the latest kernel in de Hardy Heron development branch of Kubuntu, and the stuttering seems to be gone completely, even when switching desktops. Now I'm going to try to get the plugins working. I'm particularly interested in getting the foobar2000 to work with the Last.fm player.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #140
hi. i was reading this because i'm thinking of trying linux soon. and i have a few questions about foobar in wine.

i have music in chinese and japanese, but it seems like i have to select one when i do the cjk support? will the filenames/tags seem weird because of this?

also, i'm probably going to be dual booting, so i'm keeping the music in a ntfs drive. will this affect anything?

thanks.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #141
also, i'm probably going to be dual booting, so i'm keeping the music in a ntfs drive. will this affect anything?

No, but if you want to write to your ntfs partition you'll need to run ntfs-ng as the driver for your partitions instead of teh default kernel driver. The setup of ntfs-ng is very simple

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #142
cool. this means the "file operations -> move to.." thing will still work?

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #144
thanks! anyone know about the cjk thing? am i forced to select one and the rest will just be gibberish? or is that for foobar's language?

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #145
Refer to the first post and follow the link for the CJK Wine tutorial. If you read toward the end of the thread you will see that the author has been developing a wine alternative to AppLocale. Using the "wineloc" command is the equivilant to changing the Regional Settings for Non-Unicode Programs under windows.

If you are trying to display international characters under wine be sure to configure foobar to use a font that supports the language script you are trying to use:

If you want to display more than one language in the playlist at the same time you will need to choose a font with all of the desired language script types listed. Sorry I do not know of any "one font to rule them all".

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #146
eh. currently with foobar on windows, i can display more than one language on the playlist, just with whatever default settings. is that something that doesn't work once in wine? sorry for all the questions.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #147
I have just installed the latest kernel in de Hardy Heron development branch of Kubuntu, and the stuttering seems to be gone completely, even when switching desktops.

One more approach for getting rid of the stuttering of foobar in wine is to apply the realtime kernel patch. For me this worked on Ubuntu Gutsy. It is included in the Ubuntu repositories.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #148
My experiences with trying to implement PanelsUI under multilingual wine have been one abysmal failure after another. I have tried all the versions users in other threads claim as being "stable" but they instantly crash whenever I try to save anything. Even if PanelsUI is not the main interface, foobar would crash when trying to save a SingleColumnPlaylist or TrackInfoMod configuration. I was working with terrestrial via PM regarding the issue and we had come to the conclusion that it had something to do with the unicode support of the embedded editor (the edit window with all the fancy context highlighting) used in the newer versions of PanelsUI. Terrestrial disappeared before anything really got resolved, I had pretty much given up on using Panels under wine and dove back into Columns.

Today I was cleaning out an old system I had used and came across an old foobar install. I pulled the PanelsUI component and gave it a try and to my surprise I found it highly functional under wine. I did need to switch to ColumnsUI or DefaultUI to change and save a few settings in the main prefereances but I was eventually able to hammer out a complete PanelsUI config. I am now very pleased as this provides SingleColumnPlaylist and TrackInfoMod versions much newer than those in their standalone counterparts. I provide it here for anyone else who would like to experiment with it (sorry for rapidshare link, forum will not allow me to attach to this post):

PanelsUI v0.9.2 beta [Mar 30 2007 - 12:21:46]

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #149
Okay... I don't know why I am having issues with this, but I am obviously doing something wrong.  So, I downloaded the .exe file for Foobar and it is sitting on my desktop.  Once I double click, I get an error
Unable to Elevate, error 2

Do you have any idea of why that would be happening or someway to fix it...  I see you say you fixed it by returning to XP, but I am already in XP...