Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: how to make a avi file smaller (Read 15728 times) previous topic - next topic

how to make a avi file smaller

I need to shrink a avi file from 217mb to 15 mb.
Is there a program to do that...it doesn't matter if the quality gets a bit poor.

If that is not possible with program can i use the cut some pieces out of it.
Im not a pro in this stuf so recommend me some easy things .

Any help appreciated.

Reply #1
As this is not related to audio actually in any way, I recommend you to try in the Doom9 forums, but still, to achieve what you want, there are many factors: is the video already compressed? what formet do you need it to be? does it includes audio? how long it runs?
For starters, you can use VirtualDub to open the video and cut parts as needed and XviD or x264 for compression for the video, MP3 for the audio.

Cheers
"Screw u guys, I´m going home."

Reply #2
If you could tell us the playing time of the file then we could see what final bit rate would give you that final file size and maybe give you some guidlines as to what quality you might expect.

Reply #3
it's not the exact place to ask such a question, anyway, i'd like to give u some sugestion

one:
If you are taking a 217MB and reduce it to 15MB, and it's already MPEG-4, you might as well not do it. You are looking at just one large block as a picture. That's going to be too low of a bitrate. You might want to try for like 45-55MB realistically
Two:
what machine are you using, Windows or Mac? 
Three;
How long is the video clip?
Four:
You may want to check out the ImTOO Products (not free, and not going to give a link, u can google it) if you want to take anything other than a DVD and rip it down, that is, if you use it under windows. I have used it and it works OK, although, it's not fast. This is what you probably don't want to use if you are looking for free. Maybe someone else can provide a link to something like it, but free.
Five:
If you are under Mac, there is stuff like FFMpegX that works, it's a free software that you can get on sourceforge.

Reply #4
I’m wondering what u want to do after u cut avi file to some pieces of 15M files,I guess u want to import them into portable player such as iPod, yes ? if that’s the case, u can make it by setting Start Time and Duration via ImTOO MPEG Encoder(as sophieya recommends), u can also output iPod supported files.

Reply #5
I tried imtoo mpeg encoder after your suggestion. It may make it by setting Start Time and Duration, but Start Time and Duration function of the trial version is unavailable. If no one recommend me a free way, maybe I have to pay for this product. thanks.

Reply #6
I tried imtoo mpeg encoder after your suggestion. It may make it by setting Start Time and Duration, but Start Time and Duration function of the trial version is unavailable. If no one recommend me a free way, maybe I have to pay for this product. thanks.

I have to seriously disagree with some of the above posts as today you can achieve much higher quality with free tools than paid ones.
Still you haven't told us the specifications of your avi file, so we're still guessing. Please, post them as it will turn our presumptive advices into real, appliable ones.
If not, then you're just discouraging any further help.

The most common situation is that you have an uncompressed avi file and you want to compress it. In this scenario, to achieve a 15 mb hit target is very probable and feasable.
You just need to donwload VirtualDubMod 1.5.0.2 and the XviD and/or x264 codecs. For more intense pre-processing before encoding, get also Avisynth. All of these are powerfull, free tools, that you can find everywere.
Once VirtualDubMod (VDM) and the XviD codec are installed, you can just open the AVI in VDM and export it compressed as an XviD avi file. This is for compatibility with MPEG-4 SAPs.
If you're interested in higher compression rate wth the same quality,  x264. But is a command-line encoder, so if you're not used to that, well, it has a learning curve.

If this is not the case, and the avi file is already compressed, worst even if it's MPEG-4-compressed, then don't even try it, it will be an utter waste of time.

Cheers

Reply #8
Is there a program to do that...it doesn't matter if the quality gets a bit poor.

Any help appreciated.

1st, i have to fully agree with Skelsgard, there is almost no reason to use commercial apps for home use at least...
-------------------------
2nd, generally speaking about FATavi->tinyavi procedure goes like:

a. get the info about your FATavi, resolution, framerate, audio type, duration, ect (you can use something like mediainfo
http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

b. think about your audience, will this be only you and your pc?, will this be your mpeg4 powered standalone player, ect

c. then the usual procedure is: demux the audio, compress the audio, scale down the video, compress the video using some delta codec, remux the new audio + video = and there you go.

With enough downscaling you can get away with almost any bitrate you can imagine (but of course the quality will be really bad after some undefined point).

p.s.
everyday software i use is already mentioned avisynth, then virtualdub and virtualdubmod, lame, nero cli aac encoder, x264, mediainfo, HC mpeg2 encoder, muxman, and gazillion others...

p.s.2.
unfortunately one-click solutions will not get you far.
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #9

You need to reduce frame rate & resolution
For this task I can suggest to use VidCrop
http://www.geovid.com/VidCrop/

Reply #10
messa think this is another spambot converstaion going on, can we limit the posting to not be allowed for new users for like 5 days or something?
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #11

You need to reduce frame rate & resolution
For this task I can suggest to use VidCrop
http://www.geovid.com/VidCrop/

I think that its good tool!!I can suggest to try this prog too-VisiCrop on visifly.com
You can crop your favorite movie, music video, cartoon or any video you have in several steps!!

Reply #12
The only one who thinks that's a good tool is the one who wrote the program, and nobody else.
Now stop SPAMMING.

Reply #13
..can we limit the posting to not be allowed for new users for like 5 days or something?

I think that's how it's set up currently (I know I had to wait the five days), though it seems to be only borderline effective as you can tell

Reply #14
..can we limit the posting to not be allowed for new users for like 5 days or something?

I think that's how it's set up currently (I know I had to wait the five days), though it seems to be only borderline effective as you can tell

I think that the waiting period only applies to certain domains.

Reply #15
This forum has a 5 days waiting period like Ron Jones said.
I guess some spammers are just really, really patient

Reply #16
I know this is an old post, but for anyone wishing to combine movie files with a macintosh, all you have to do is double click the first movie file and quicktime will open up. Then drag the next movie file you want into the movie file window that's open, and so forth with all the movie files you want in the correct order. Quicktime combines them all and then allows you to save the file as a self contained movie. The end result will be no bigger than all your files combined and takes about 1 minute to make. I just did this with 4 movie files total combined was 45 mb.

Just a tip. When you create the standalone file (self contained movie), then take the movies you used to create the final movie with and throw them in the trash. DO NOT DELETE THEM. Once they are in the trash, than double click your final movie file and see if it plays perfectly. If it does then you can empty the trash because the movie works. If the movie does not work, it's because you saved the file as a Reference Movie. Throw the reference movie away and take the movies out of the trash and re-due it, only this time save as a Self Contained Movie.

jeremie calvin

Reply #17

I'm not a pro in this stuf so recommend me some easy things .

You should start whistling the "Mission Impossible" theme! ;-)

You want to cut file size by over 15:1, starting out with a compressed file?

Let's talk about realistic goals.

(1) Edit the file's contents with a big club.

(2) Get whatever additional shrinkage by trading off quality and using more sophisticated video compression.

Both steps require a good dose of technical competence on your part.

The easiest to use video editor I know of is Adobe Premiere Elements. It also offers quite a few file compression options when you save the file.