Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: HA geograpical knowledge (Read 3929 times) previous topic - next topic

HA geograpical knowledge

Hi

While setting my country flag I encountered an horrible mistake.

HA has got Colombia ( the South-American country) listed as Columbia (The US state) 

Can someone please correct this..........
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

HA geograpical knowledge

Reply #1
 I'll try to clarify things a little.
Colombia is the original name , that is , in spanish language.Just like Brasil (well , that's portuguese but for this example is the same).
On the other hand you have Columbia which is Colombia somehow translated to english.Just like Brazil is the english translation of Brasil.
Actually "Nueva York" isn't "Nueva York" like many of our spanish speaking fellows say.It's New York! 
And "Estados Unidos de América" doesn't really exist but in our spanish thinking heads.Just like "Londres".Go to London and try to convince anyone about the fact that you're in "Londres".You'll be surprised   

This board is english-based (I don't remember if one can choose the language) so you'll have to live with Columbia and , technically speaking ,  that is not a mistake.

I personally don't like these translations.New York is New York and Colombia is Colombia.
I don't know why some cities or coutries are translated and others aren't.Why english people say "Columbia" instead of "Colombia" and they don't say "Good Airs" instead of "Buenos Aires"?.Who knows!.

Hasta la vista , baby! (I wonder if they know what that means    )

Edit: Check this out

I'd choose Colombia , because it's the one and only true name for me.
Just like New York , Brasil or Deutschland (Germany? no way!  ).

HA geograpical knowledge

Reply #2
Actually, I think it is a mistake.  According to dictionary.com:

columbia

\Co*lum"bi*a\, n. America; the United States; -- a poetical appellation given in honor of Columbus, the discoverer. --Dr. T. Dwight.

Co·lum·bi·a1    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (k-lmb-)

1. A community of north-central Maryland west-southwest of Baltimore. It is mainly residential. Population: 75,883.

2. A city of central Missouri north-northwest of Jefferson City. The main campus of the University of Missouri (established 1839) is here. Population: 69,101.

3. The capital and largest city of South Carolina, in the central part of the state. It was chosen as the site of the new state's capital in 1786. Population: 98,052.

Also, there is no US state named Columbia.  There is the District of Columbia (as in Washington, D.C.), but it is not a state.

HA geograpical knowledge

Reply #3
Maybe a little problem with Invision software? Or it was a mod?

"Colombia" is the left over of "Gran Colombia" that consisted of many of the current countries where Simon Bolivar had helped cause independence from the back then tyranic monarchic Spain.
She is waiting in the air

HA geograpical knowledge

Reply #4
This was a typo made in the mod itself, which is not something I made.  I'll fix it when I have some free time.  Thanks for pointing it out.

HA geograpical knowledge

Reply #5
I'll try to clarify things a little.   
Colombia is the original name , that is , in spanish language.Just like Brasil (well , that's portuguese but for this example is the same).
On the other hand you have Columbia which is Colombia somehow translated to english.Just like Brazil is the english translation of Brasil.

Not really, they don't translate Colombia because there's a City or district in there named Columbia, therefore to avoid confussion they don't spell Colombia, Columbia.

This reminds me those times I mispronunced Linux. (99)
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."