Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3Gain 0.9.9 Beta (Read 4903 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3Gain 0.9.9 Beta

http://www.geocities.com/mp3gain

MP3Gain version 0.9.9 does not have any functional differences from 0.9.7.
It fixes some problems with double-byte character set (DBCS) file names, usually associated with Chinese, Japanese, and Korean files.

Version 0.9.9 also fixes a problem with 0.9.8 that made it freeze for Windows 95/98/ME users.

MP3Gain 0.9.9 Beta

Reply #1
Could you leave directions on how to move to be able to download?
I only get redirected to some horrible german MP3 page...
I don't think everyone udnerstands german

edit:
Haha.. silly me
Just use mirror 3 and avoid no. 1 if you don't know german.

MP3Gain 0.9.9 Beta

Reply #2
Once I used the programm with my files I can´t get Nero to burn them as an audio-cd. Does anyone know how to fix that.
WinXP, Nero 5.5.9.17.

MP3Gain 0.9.9 Beta

Reply #3
Will there be wav support in the future? I use vorbis now so the ability to normalize wav files would be nice.

MP3Gain 0.9.9 Beta

Reply #4
Will there be wav support in the future? I use vorbis now so the ability to normalize wav files would be nice.

what? Normalization is bad.
Ogg Vorbis has vorbisgain which is even better constructed than mp3gain (it adds a gain "tag" instead of changing the global gain in every frame).
Vorbisgain is included with the vorbis tools @ www.vorbis.com
Use that instead for ogg vorbis. Do not normalize.

If you wanna do something similar with a wav file you can use wavgain.

MP3Gain 0.9.9 Beta

Reply #5
Vorbisgain is included with the vorbis tools @ www.vorbis.com

If you wanna do something similar with a wav file you can use wavgain.

Is vorbisgain a separate program? Because I only have oggenc, oggdec, ogginfo, vcut, vorbiscomment, etc.
Also, where is the webpage for wavgain? I remember seeing it referenced along with mp3gain, but the version I saw was analysis-only (doesn't apply dB settings). Thanks

MP3Gain 0.9.9 Beta

Reply #7
Once I used the programm with my files I can´t get Nero to burn them as an audio-cd. Does anyone know how to fix that.
WinXP, Nero 5.5.9.17.

really? oh no .... that means i cant burn the mp3s i gained??

are u sure?

MP3Gain 0.9.9 Beta

Reply #8
That's absolutely not true.  First off, I do it all the time.

Second, MP3Gain doesn't change the raw data at all.  All it does is change a value that tells each frame how much gain to apply.  This is no way affects the quality of the MP3.  This gain value is part of the MP3 standard and there's no *right* value for it.

MP3Gain 0.9.9 Beta

Reply #9
WinXP, Nero 5.5.9.17.

are u sure?

It's been quite a while since someone found a genuine "this is destroying my mp3 files" bug in mp3gain.
That's not to say it couldn't happen, but the likelihood is very strong that something else went screwy along the way.
pippi27, if you have some "before" and "after" copies of a single mp3 that can burn with Nero before MP3Gain and cannot burn after, I'd appreciate it if you could upload them somewhere where I can download them to test them.

-Glen

MP3Gain 0.9.9 Beta

Reply #10
I wouldn't go so far as to say it destroys the mp3 file, but sometimes it still strips id3 tags from files, though not often.  Perhaps a handful in a few thousand mp3s.

MP3Gain 0.9.9 Beta

Reply #11
I wouldn't go so far as to say it destroys the mp3 file, but sometimes it still strips id3 tags from files, though not often.  Perhaps a handful in a few thousand mp3s.

Sigh.
If you have an actual "before" and "after" case where this is happening, PLEASE get a copy to me.
The code is designed to only change specific bytes in an mp3 file. It does not add unto nor take away from that which is written in the mp3 originally.
I can conceive of cases where the ID3v1 tag might get screwed up, but only if the original mp3 data is corrupted in precisely the right way and in the right place. That shouldn't be happening in a "handful in a few thousand mp3s".

-Glen

MP3Gain 0.9.9 Beta

Reply #12
ok, I'll try to figure out if I have a few specific cases, or if it's just random, and I'll post back here. might not be until after the weekend, working late hours this weekend and will probably be too tired to check it out after work.

MP3Gain 0.9.9 Beta

Reply #13
WinXP, Nero 5.5.9.17.

are u sure?

It's been quite a while since someone found a genuine "this is destroying my mp3 files" bug in mp3gain.
That's not to say it couldn't happen, but the likelihood is very strong that something else went screwy along the way.
pippi27, if you have some "before" and "after" copies of a single mp3 that can burn with Nero before MP3Gain and cannot burn after, I'd appreciate it if you could upload them somewhere where I can download them to test them.

-Glen

@glen

If I slow my burner down, it´s working.
Still I get more "buffer-under-run" errors than before, even though buffer-under-run-protection is activated.