Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: .APE conversion with nxMyAPE.dll (Nero) (Read 5242 times) previous topic - next topic

.APE conversion with nxMyAPE.dll (Nero)

I have downloaded .ape files and have burned it on a CD with Nero, using nxMyAPE.dll.

How much quality loss do I have after conversion. The .ape file still has 44.1 (Khz) and a bitrate of 1408. Nero burned it as a PCM format. What is the disadvantage of the PCM format when you compare it the the .APE format ? 

My DVD-player can also play DVD-Audio. Will that be a better conversion ? What program can convert .ape files to DVD-audio files (AOB?) ?

Reply #1
You won't loose any quality (at least if your original APE is 44100Hz@16bit). Lossless mean NO LOSS.
PCM = uncompressed data. No tags, not efficient.
Lossless = compressed: tags are supported, bitrate is lower for same uncompressed datas.

Reply #2
You won't loose any quality (at least if your original APE is 44100Hz@16bit). Lossless mean NO LOSS.
PCM = uncompressed data. No tags, not efficient.
Lossless = compressed: tags are supported, bitrate is lower for same uncompressed datas.

This is copied from Foobar:

bitrate = 737
samplerate = 44100
channels = 2
bitspersample = 16
flags = 0
codec = Monkey's Audio
encoding = lossless
codec_profile = Normal
version = 3.98
md5 = 19AC9CB3A6F052FE7FA1F4F4B1D1598C
cue_embedded = no
----------
19209372 samples @ 44100Hz
File size: 40 128 640 bytes

So the PCM format audiofile sounds exact like the .ape file, only when the .ape file is not higher then 16 bit en 44.1 (Khz)?

When I have a .ape file that is for example 24 bit / 32 bit and 96 (Khz), will it then be better to convert it to DVD-audio ?

Reply #3
CDDA = 44100 Hz at 16 bit.
So if your lossless encoding follow these spec, the CDDA you'll burn should have the same (bit-to-bit identical) datas. If your APE file is different, there will be a difference introduced while conversion to 44100@16 bits.

I doubt that you'll find APE files at 24 or 32 bit and 96 Khz. But in this case, DVD-A should be prefered to retain the theoretical quality of the lossless files.

Reply #4
Ok thanx 

Then I don't understand why we all encode our music into mp3 instead of .ape or any other losless format (.flac / .mlp).

Very strange isn't it? Ok, the files are bigger, that's probably the reason.

What's the difference between .wav and .ape ?

Reply #5
See previous post.
WAV is a container. Usually, it corresponds to uncompressed PCM data.
APE as any lossless format is intended to increase efficiency (less space but same quality) and add other features (tagging, embedded cue, etc...). It's useful for storage, organizing, archiving, etc...