Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is this possible? (Read 5312 times) previous topic - next topic

Is this possible?

Here's my question: I currently use & probably will continue to archive my music in the FLAC format on DVD-R & CD-R discs. Is it possible to make a DVD-Video disc that has the same high-quality audio information as the CDs the data originated from? I would like to do this instead of going DVD-Audio for just CD-quality audio, as DVDs are now cheaper (per gigabyte) than CDs (even Taiyo Yuden-brand ones!) and can store much more data. There's a lot of DVD players out there and I figure that it may be possible do this using currently existing authoring software...

What do you think?

Is this possible?

Reply #2
Most authoring software should let you do PCM. If you don't want video the above program is probably the best way to go though.

Is this possible?

Reply #3
Audio DVD Creator:
http://www.audio-dvd-creator.com/
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=343266"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hmmmmm... doesn't that resamples to 48 KHz?

Sergio

Edit: Answer to myself: No!
Edit 2: Wrong! Yes! Checked. batagy (see below) is right: it resamples to PCM (48 or 96 KHz, 16 or 24 bits) or compress to AC3 (2.0 or 5.1 from 96 to 640 Kbps) 
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

Is this possible?

Reply #4
Here's my question: I currently use & probably will continue to archive my music in the FLAC format on DVD-R & CD-R discs. Is it possible to make a DVD-Video disc that has the same high-quality audio information as the CDs the data originated from? I would like to do this instead of going DVD-Audio for just CD-quality audio, as DVDs are now cheaper (per gigabyte) than CDs (even Taiyo Yuden-brand ones!) and can store much more data. There's a lot of DVD players out there and I figure that it may be possible do this using currently existing authoring software...

What do you think?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=343265"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks, but anything freely available? Anything more readily available, like Nero or K3b, can do this? Or does this thing need to do something special? I shouldn't even need menus. (I don't want to lose half a DVD just for a blank video screen either.)

Is this possible?

Reply #5
Using some free program to convert your files to PCM (dBpowerAmp) you can then burn them using nero or any other dvd-creation software. I don't see where that would be a problem.
Just an average nerd!

Is this possible?

Reply #6
Using some free program to convert your files to PCM (dBpowerAmp) you can then burn them using nero or any other dvd-creation software. I don't see where that would be a problem.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=343557"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

And then you'll be able to play them on a DVD player? 
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

Is this possible?

Reply #7
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=343557"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

By 'PCM', do you mean just WAV files or the completely raw format? As you may know, WAV is actually a container, like Ogg & AVI. So if I only need WAV files, fine. I got them already from my CDs (well, in FLAC format but I can easily decompress).

BTW, after I have the files decoded & all, what would I need to do in, say, Nero? Select burn as a DVD-Video (movie) disc then drop the WAV files into the window where it's expecting VOB/IFO files?

Is this possible?

Reply #9
Except that adam917 is looking to make a DVD-V disc with audio, not a DVD-A disc
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Is this possible?

Reply #11
Is it possible to make a DVD-Video disc that has the same high-quality audio information as the CDs the data originated from?

If you want to have exactly the same audio quality in DVD-Video disc than on CD-Audio, and if you are a perfectionist, that's not possible! Just because DVD-Video cannot store 44,1 kHz 16 bit sound, so the wav files from the CD-Audio must be resampled anyway. But if resampling let's say 48 kHz is good for you, it's OK.

I would like to do this instead of going DVD-Audio for just CD-quality audio, as DVDs are now cheaper (per gigabyte) than CDs (even Taiyo Yuden-brand ones!) and can store much more data.

I don't really understand this, home DVD-Audio can be burned to the same cheap DVD-R or DVD+R like DVD-Videos.

There's a lot of DVD players out there and I figure that it may be possible do this using currently existing authoring software...

Nowadays there are very cheap DVD-Audio players. For authoring software, there is the open source dvda-author mentioned above.

Sergio

You're not right, Goland Audio DVD Creator IS resampling to 48 kHz.

So basically, your have three options:
- create DVD-Audio with dvda-author, from your flac files.
- create DVD-Video with Goland Audio DVD Creator
- some DVD players (I don't know what models) can play wav files directly from a DVD-Rom, just like as it would Mp3. Maybe Kiss or similar players can do that.

(I searched for a cheap DVD player, which can play flac files natively, but I didn't found any.)
My suggestion is to use the dvda-author. Check the link mentioned above by kjoonlee.

Is this possible?

Reply #12
Is it possible to make a DVD-Video disc that has the same high-quality audio information as the CDs the data originated from?

If you want to have exactly the same audio quality in DVD-Video disc than on CD-Audio, and if you are a perfectionist, that's not possible! Just because DVD-Video cannot store 44,1 kHz 16 bit sound, so the wav files from the CD-Audio must be resampled anyway. But if resampling let's say 48 kHz is good for you, it's OK.

I would like to do this instead of going DVD-Audio for just CD-quality audio, as DVDs are now cheaper (per gigabyte) than CDs (even Taiyo Yuden-brand ones!) and can store much more data.

I don't really understand this, home DVD-Audio can be burned to the same cheap DVD-R or DVD+R like DVD-Videos.

There's a lot of DVD players out there and I figure that it may be possible do this using currently existing authoring software...

Nowadays there are very cheap DVD-Audio players. For authoring software, there is the open source dvda-author mentioned above.

Sergio

You're not right, Goland Audio DVD Creator IS resampling to 48 kHz.

So basically, your have three options:
- create DVD-Audio with dvda-author, from your flac files.
- create DVD-Video with Goland Audio DVD Creator
- some DVD players (I don't know what models) can play wav files directly from a DVD-Rom, just like as it would Mp3. Maybe Kiss or similar players can do that.

(I searched for a cheap DVD player, which can play flac files natively, but I didn't found any.)
My suggestion is to use the dvda-author. Check the link mentioned above by kjoonlee.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=344625"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
OK. So I guess DVD-Audio it will have to be. :-\ Now, if I insert a home-made DVD-Audio disc into a random DVD player, what's the chances that it will run the disc? How much of these players are portable?

If I wanted to resample to just be able to listen on anything that can run a DVD disc (the majority of players just don't handle DVD-Audio and I don't think this can be proved wrong yet, due to DVD-A coming around almost a full 3 years after DVD-Video and the fact that it has a very small market right now), than I might as well go with an AC-3 encoding (like 640 kbps), as 44.1 -> 48 kHz is lossy anyway...

Is this possible?

Reply #13
It looks like Audio DVD Creator demo is no longer available.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=344621"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Luckily, I have the full version since a few days ago...

Is this possible?

Reply #14
OK. So I guess DVD-Audio it will have to be. :-\ Now, if I insert a home-made DVD-Audio disc into a random DVD player, what's the chances that it will run the disc? How much of these players are portable?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=344632"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't know what is the percentage of DVD-Audio capable players on the DVD player market. The DVD player must support DVD-Audio if you would play it.
What do you mean by portable players?

If I wanted to resample to just be able to listen on anything that can run a DVD disc (the majority of players just don't handle DVD-Audio and I don't think this can be proved wrong yet, due to DVD-A coming around almost a full 3 years after DVD-Video and the fact that it has a very small market right now), than I might as well go with an AC-3 encoding (like 640 kbps), as 44.1 -> 48 kHz is lossy anyway...

Yes, you can do that. A DVD-Video compliant disc can be played everywhere. In the case of AC3, you'll have many hours music on one DVD.

Just one another thing to mention: if you would to play all your music on the DVD continuosly, without any intervention, then you should choose DVD-Video format, because as far as I know, according the DVD-Audio specification, playing always stops at the end of a group in the case of DVD-Audio.

Is this possible?

Reply #15

I don't know what is the percentage of DVD-Audio capable players on the DVD player market. The DVD player must support DVD-Audio if you would play it.
What do you mean by portable players?

Yes, you can do that. A DVD-Video compliant disc can be played everywhere. In the case of AC3, you'll have many hours music on one DVD.

Just one another thing to mention: if you would to play all your music on the DVD continuosly, without any intervention, then you should choose DVD-Video format, because as far as I know, according the DVD-Audio specification, playing always stops at the end of a group in the case of DVD-Audio.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=344642"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For 'portable players', I mean the kind you can take with you and are not the size of VCRs. These usually have a little screen that ranges from a size of about 8 to 32 centimetres.

Stopping at the end of a Group would make sense, if the group was, say, all of one artist's music, or an album.

Is this possible?

Reply #16
For 'portable players', I mean the kind you can take with you and are not the size of VCRs. These usually have a little screen that ranges from a size of about 8 to 32 centimetres.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=344921"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ah, I see. I don't know is there such a model, you should search for it.

Stopping at the end of a Group would make sense, if the group was, say, all of one artist's music, or an album.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=344921"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, usually one group means one album.