Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_sid (Read 97559 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foo_sid

Reply #150
May I make a feature request?  An option to double the song length value specified by the database text file.  Silence detection and fade outs after the loops would be nice too, but you've done enough for us already.  Thanks again for the great plugin!

Reply #151
As of HVSC #71, the Songlengths.txt file has been removed and replaced with the new Songlengths.md5 format. Any plans to add support for this new format?

Reply #152
Seconding this request. Please add new songlengths format compatibility to sidplay.

DRS

Reply #153
Hello, I downloaded the .sid files for Modern Love Classics by MultiStyle Labs from here: http://csdb.dk/release/?id=157489
They play fine in SidPlay 2.6 but they come up with a missing or corrupted file error in Foobar2000 with the foo_sid plugin.
I posted in this thread nearly 2 years ago; having changed absolutely nothing (not even the location of the files!) I attempted to play the .sid files again and mysteriously they work now!

However, I have a new problem. The audio quality of playback is quite poor, marked by significant crackling and popping -- playback in SidPlay 2.6 has no such problem. I went ahead and updated my foo_sid component to 1.43 from 1.42, but it didn't make any difference. Is it possibly something I have configured wrong? I don't have any other SID-capable plugins installed, by the way. (Also, I never responded to your reply to my initial post because this old forum account was set up with my old e-mail address that I no longer have access to! I've fixed that now, hehe.)

I have no particular nostalgia for the C64 or SID music; these are the only SID files I have and the only things I've ever used SidPlay or foo_sid with, so I don't know much about the trappings of this topic. Apologies if I come off particularly ignorant.

I've attached one of the SID files from the (album? musicdisk? demo?) to this post. I can produce audio recordings if necessary.

Reply #154
Verified that this does not occur with upstream v2.0.1. I'll have to rebase my source around that.

Reply #155
Bump: Enjoy the new sidplayfp, and new HVSC Songlengths.md5 support, using the upstream INI parser and database code.

Reply #156
Outstanding, thank you!!

Edit:
I think I've found a bug. I went into the sidplay config and set the songlengths DB to the correct file (songlengths.md5)
When I did this, all the tracks from the HVSC that I tried, played fine.

I then tried playing a separate SID file, not in the HVSC or its folder hierarchy, and f2k immediately threw this error:

Decoding failure at 0:00.000 (Overflow):
"M:\C64Music\ALBINO_4.sid" / index: 1

Console shows:
Opening track for playback: "M:\C64Music\ALBINO_4.sid" / index: 1
Unable to open item for playback (Overflow):
"M:\C64Music\ALBINO_4.sid" / index: 1

I went in and removed the Songlengths.md5 file from the config (ie I cleared the box) and saved config.
The separate file played fine after that. Put the songlengths file back in and it once again throws an error.

It seems that if a file isn't listed in the provided songlengths.md5 file then it can't be played.
FWIW this is the SID I'm trying to play: http://deepsid.chordian.net/?file=SID%20Happens/Albino_4.sid

Cheers
DRS

Reply #157
Whoops, I misread how the built-in database code returns errors for unlisted songs. This is fixed now.

Reply #158
Getting a crash on 1.49 when trying to just do a regular seek. Happens on any SID I play. Crash logs attached.

Dhry

Reply #159
This should be fixed now. I was pointlessly using a fast forward function that apparently had no quantifiable effect on the player.

Reply #161
Hi Kode. Tried to post this as an issue on your git but it requires a signin and there doesn't appear to be the ability to create a new account on there.

If it's absolutely not possible to do this, then so be it - but I wonder if it's possible to allow SID tracks to be tagged with ratings? When I try I get this error:

Could not update tags (Tagging of this file format is not supported) on:
"D:\HVSC\MUSICIANS\J\Jammer\Club_Stylier.sid" / index: 1

Not sure if that's a limitation of foobar itself or not. Would love to be able to rate these tracks like I do with regular MP3 or OGG.

Cheers
Dhry

Reply #162
Try Case's external tags plugin, it should make this universally possible with untaggable formats, or formats which wouldn't support flexible tagging.

Reply #163
Try Case's external tags plugin, it should make this universally possible with untaggable formats, or formats which wouldn't support flexible tagging.

Man, that is PERFECT. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Dhry

Reply #164
@kode54

Thank you for the v1.60 update of foo_sid. Great to see there is still development taking place.

1. Wouldn't it make sense to add automatic sample rate selection, as you did for the OpenMPT component?

2. Since the implementation of the automatic sample rate selection into OpenMPT all tracker modules are replayed at 192000 Hz, which is my Soundcard's highest available setting. Is it actually intended to go as high as possible? Because, this does not happen for streaming formats like FLAC, OGG, OPUS, MP3, and WAV, these still play at their individual encoding sample rate.

Reply #165
Also putting in huge thanks to Kode for his foo_sid update.
(He got it done within an hour of the request for it on Twitter yesterday!)

DRS

Reply #166
Automatic selection goes as high as whatever your current setting for system default sample rate is, which foobar2000 tries to match. I can add this option to foo_sid, and it shouldn't actually have that much more overhead than the current version, since most of the overhead is actually the emulation and the 1.8MHz synthesis, it just downsamples itself to your selected sample rate.

Edit: Done.

Reply #167
Automatic selection goes as high as whatever your current setting for system default sample rate is, which foobar2000 tries to match.

Ahh, thanks for pointing that out. So I went and reviewed my soundcard settings and it appears, that a major update of the soundcard driver, which fixes many issues of past driver releases, sets a default output quality setting of 24-bit/192 kHz for the 'Direct Mode' output. I adjusted it now to a sane level of 16-bit/44 kHz.

Still, makes me wonder why the streaming formats would play in foobar2000 at their encoding sample rate and not getting upsampled, too?

Many thanks for adding the auto-sample rate selection to foo_sid in a heartbeat.

Reply #168
foobar2000 doesn't display the playback sample rate for formats it resamples. You have to check the Console output to see that it's opening the ouptut device at the shared rate and upsampling it.

Reply #169
Ahh, now I understand, thanks to your reply. By setting my soundcard output shortly back to the former 24-bit/192 kHz setting I could verify this viewing the Console, as you mentioned. Your OpenMPT Module decoder reports the actual output rate with %__bitrate_dynamic%, which I make use of in my playlist view configuration with Columns UI. I had forgotten about these details and thus tricked myself into thinking that foobar2000 always reports the actual playback sample rate, which in fact it does not.

The Console states that foobar2000 always samples the output to 32-bit float, regardless of my soundcard is set to 24-bit/192 kHz or 16-bit/44 kHz. Do you think this is probably a bug that's worth reporting, or is it intended to work this way?

Reply #170
It always sends to WASAPI Shared (or previously, DirectSound) as 32-bit float, since this is the preferred mixing format of the OS anyway.

Reply #171
Alright, this case is successfully closed then. Thanks again for your helpful replies and the technical insights provided, it really helped me to solve a few mysteries.

Reply #172
@kode54

I almost forgot, could you please add a discussion link to the foo_sid component download page which points to this thread? Should come in handy for inclined users. Thanks.

EDIT: Perhaps this is a good idea for the other more known components of yours, too, i.e. MIDI Player and OpenMPT.

Reply #173
Done.

Reply #174
How do you enable stereo mode?  I'm playing SIDs that I know are stereo (dual layer) and they play in mono.